Mechanical Room Fire

Smoke detectors in a mechanical room within the Main Library went into alarm at 1:21 p.m. on Saturday, February 13, 2010.  A contractor removing an old steel boiler was unaware of a hot metal fragment on top of the wood base plate of their temporary enclosure.  A small fire was put out before fire departments arrived.  The majority of smoke was contained and exhausted.  Staff and patrons were back in the building within an hour.  No one was hurt and there is no water or smoke damage to the building and/or collections.

Do you have a story you’d like added to the Library News & Events? If so, please contact Heather Murphy ( ).