Ask a Librarian
Ask a Librarian Hours:
- Email Us — Responses within one business day.
- Text Us: (217) 686-4361
You can SMS text the library from any cellphone that supports text messaging. Standard charges apply, based on your cell phone plan with your account provider, for both messages you send and receive from us.
- Visit Us at the Information Desk — First Floor, Main Library.
Winter Session 2020-2021 (effective December 19 – January 22):
8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Spring 2021 (effective January 25 – May 14):
8:30 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday;
8:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Friday;
1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. Saturday;
10:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. Sunday.
No service on January 13 (8:30-10:30), January 18, February 17, March 24, and April 13.
Due to the COVID-19 situation, Information Desk services will be virtual-only unless there is a specific need that cannot be met remotely. Please see the following section on subject expert help for details on booking an in-person appointment.
Get Subject Expert Help
- Find Your Subject Library or Specialized Service — These libraries and services have resources on specific subjects and can assist you with recommended search resources for advanced research. The subject specialists page includes contact information for subject specialist librarians, and many include links through which you can directly schedule an appointment with a specialist.
- While remote research assistance is preferred and strongly encouraged, in-person consultations will be available beginning August 24. These should be utilized when there is a specific need that cannot be met remotely. Appointments must be booked in advance by contacting a Library subject specialist. All in-person appointments will observe CDC social distancing guidelines and PPE requirements, include clean-up of spaces before and after consultations, and be conducted in accordance with space capacity restrictions. Patrons must demonstrate that building access permission has been granted by campus before being permitted access to Library buildings or spaces. When you come to the Library for your appointment, you will be asked to present your “Building Access Granted” status on the Safer Illinois app or via the boarding pass option.
Suggest a Purchase
- Suggest a Purchase — Ask the library to buy a book, film, or other information source you need by providing basic author and title information. Your request will be forwarded to the appropriate subject specialist.