The University Library holds more than 14 million volumes and 24 million other items and materials in all formats, languages, and subjects, including 9 million microforms, 120,000 serials, 148,000 audio-recordings, over 930,000 audiovisual materials, over 280,000 electronic books, 12,000 films, millions of pages of manuscript materials, and 650,000 maps. These collections form the bulk of I-Share, the statewide library online catalog.
- 14-Millionth Volume – The library has over 14 million volumes in its collection. In 2017, the 14-millionth volume, The University of Illinois: Engine of Innovation, was added.
- Audubon Folio – The library owns a copy of John James Audubon’s Birds of America folio, as well as a facsimile which is displayed near the Literature and Languages Library.
- Resources on Audubon – A list of resources related to Audubon and The Birds of America, including books, catalogs, films, and music.
- Faculty Book Plates – Faculty who are newly tenured and/or promoted are able to select a book for our Library collections. These selections are book-plated in their honor, and stand as a reminder now and into the future of the remarkable accomplishments of the faculty at this university.
Digital Collections – The University of Illinois has digitized a variety of important collections and made them available online.
Collection Development Statements and Descriptions – Specific collection descriptions and statements.
Subject Selectors – List of individuals and units responsible for collection development in specific subject areas.
- Digitization Services – Digitization Services creates high quality digital reproductions or print materials to support library patrons in their research and scholarship.
- Gifts to the Library – The University Library Gifts Policy addresses donations of print, non-print, and related gifts of both general and special nature.
- Suggest a Purchase – Ask the library to buy a book, film, or other information source you need by providing basic author and title information. Your request will be forwarded to the appropriate subject specialist.
- Ordering Media – The collection development policy for ordering media and information on how to request media purchases.