Collection Development Policy
Purpose – To provide a collection of non-print resources in a variety of formats for all levels of curriculum offered at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. In addition, the collection supports research and service activities sponsored by the University and the University Library. Given its broad interdisciplinary nature, the collection also serves as a library source of emerging media formats. The majority of media materials are housed in the centralized Undergraduate Library Media Collection for widest access.
Selection Criteria – Material selected for addition to the collection will normally meet the following criteria:
- Material requested for classroom use by an instructor.
- Up-to-date resources in formats for which the Library maintains viewing equipment.
- Material which is interdisciplinary in nature, and which fills a gap in the collection not met by other titles.
If you would like to suggest a video (streaming video, DVD, or Blu-Ray) for the collection, please use the Video Purchase Request Webform.
- Please note that most Hollywood productions cannot be acquired by the Library in streaming format, but departments can license them through Swank Digital Campus.
- Please note that this url prefix is necessary for off-campus use of swank videos: http://www.library.illinois.edu/proxy/go.php?url=
- For example: http://www.library.illinois.edu/proxy/go.php?url=https://digitalcampus.swankmp.net/illinois341036/#/digitalCampus/browse
To request purchases of other media formats, or for questions about media orders, please email us at email@example.com.