Collection Development Statements and Descriptions
Online Reference Collection
- Reference resources are great for finding basic information on common research topics. Try one of our many online reference guides (including biographies, book reviews, dictionaries, & encyclopedias).
Databases (A-Z List)
- Find the right database for your needs. Searchable by name, subject area, type, or vendor.
- Search across multiple sources to find books, ebooks, media, articles, journals, databases, etc. Easily select your subject area for more targeted results.
- Find books, ebooks, journals, and media. Does not search articles or databases. See also: Tips for Using the Library Catalog.
- Find and request items owned by us plus 85 other libraries in Illinois. See also: Request a book not at Illinois guide.
- Find materials at other libraries across the world.
Articles & Journals
- Use when you know the specific article you’re looking for and have the journal name, article name, and/or author name. See also: Journal & Article Locator guide.
- Find online journals by journal title, subject, vendor, or ISSN.
Archives Holdings Database
- Search for primary source documents, images, and electronic records documenting University history, student life and culture, and American music.
Illinois History & Lincoln Collections Database
- Search for primary source materials including letters, diaries, and personal and organizational records documenting Illinois history from the 1700s to the present, the Civil War, and Lincoln’s ongoing legacy.
Rare Books and Manuscript Collections
- Access to over 500,000 items in The Rare Book & Manuscript Library with customizable searches by century and format, and searchable finding aids for literary archives.
Specialized Search Tools
Digital Library Collections
- Collections of digitized materials from our vast collections and archives – books, images, maps, and more.
HathiTrust Digital Library
- Full-text search of millions of books and journals digitized from our library and libraries world-wide.
- Find U of I research, view scholarly works, and discover new collaborators.
- Repository for research and scholarship generated by U of I faculty, staff, and students.