On June 13, 2011, the libraries of the Illinois Natural History Survey, Illinois State Geological Survey, Illinois State Water Survey, and Illinois Sustainable Technology Center merged to form the Prairie Research Institute Library . The Institute Library, located in the former Illinois Natural History Survey Library space ( 1816 South Oak Street, Champaign ), represents both a merger of print collections and collaboration among the State Scientific Surveys and the University Library to provide library service to Institute Staff, the University of Illinois community, and the citizens of Illinois. The library is open to the public, and all are welcome. See the website for hours.
The purpose of the Prairie Research Institute Library is to collect, preserve, promote, document, and collaborate in the scientific research and educational activities of the Institute. The combined topical strengths of the collection and subject expertise of the Institute’s four librarians are conservation, earth sciences, ecology, energy, environmental protection, life sciences, mines and minerals, natural history, natural resources of all types, paleontology, sustainable business and industry, water resources, and weather with a focus on Illinois-specific and Illinois-relevant content. The Institute Library’s holdings can be found in the University Library’s online catalog, and are available for checkout by University faculty, staff, and students. The general public can apply for a University courtesy borrowing card to borrow materials.