The American Library Association Archives is pleased to announce the digitization of the Chinese American Librarians Association newsletters and conference programs!
Within the newsletters (1982-2000) are messages from the President; chapter, committee, and individual member announcements; administrative updates; essays on Chinese and East-Asian librarianship; narratives of CALA events; obituaries and tributes; conference itineraries; job and scholarship postings; and publication announcements and reviews.
The CALA newsletters, membership directories, and conference programs are found at the ALA Archives in Record Series 85/4/30
Compiled from numerous creators and spanning over one hundred years of documentation, these images offer both a broad geographic and historical perspective of libraries. These buildings range from magnificent classic libraries to quirky traveling book mobiles.
As a graduate student at the University of Illinois, I was intrigued to find a photograph of the University Library.
With sweeping columns and arches, it bears no resemblance to our current Library. Was it before a remodel? According to the Mathematics Department’s history page, the University Library moved to its new building (our current Library) in 1926 and Altgeld Hall was divided between the Department of Mathematics and the Law School, before completely transferring to the Mathematics Department in the mid-1950s.
Undergoing several additions and renovations, the original stained glass dome of the rotunda was replaced in the early forties by a plaster dome inscribed with the names of U. S. Chief Justices of the Supreme Court to that date. In the final 1956-57 addition, additional classrooms were added, “resulting in the blocking of many windows of the original structure and the enclosure of the East Reading Room. The skylight that had been over the stained glass dome was also removed at that time.” The Librarian’s Office was also converted to a Men’s Room and hallway. Although compromising the original opulence of the building, the renovations itself serve as a testament to functional demands of a growing university.
In honor of the upcoming American Library Association Conference:
A TOAST TO THE TRAVEL COMMITTEE
(Tune: “Lord Goffrey Amherst was a soldier of the King.”)
Oh, here’s to Mr. Faxon and our jolly A. L. A.
And the travel committee too,
And here’s to Mr. Phelan, who has left us by the way,
And forsaken our merry crew,
And here’s to Mr. Brown, who came direct from Brooklyn town;
To chaperone the party was his cue.
And here’s to Mr. Wellman, who’s our leader all the way,
and last, but not least, HERE’S TO YOU.
Chorus: A. L. A., A. L. A.,
‘Tis a name that’s known
From sea to sea,
A. L. A., A. L. A.;
From the A. L. A. are we. 
As described by Director Dorothy Reeder, the American Library in Paris was a “war baby, born out of that vast number of books sent to the A. E. F. by the American Library Association in the last war. When hostilities ceased, it embarked on a new mission, and has served as a memorial to the American soldiers for whom it has been established.” Continue reading “American Library in Paris”→