About the Collections
The Special Collections area of the Music and Performing Arts Library at the University of Illinois (MPALSC) is home to a unique collection of scores, rare books, recordings, pedagogical materials, and other archival materials. Students, faculty, and researchers world wide have used these collections. More
News and Events
MPAL recently received a generous donation from the Campus Foundation to renovate our player piano and create a room for it. Stay tuned for more information about this exciting project!
Piano Roll – Dvorak’s New World Symphony
The print collections in the MPALSC consist of unique and rare scores, historical encyclopedias and periodicals, books on music theory, performance pedagogy, and many other resources.
- Alphabetical Index of All Collections
- Subject Index of All Collections
- Historic US Sheet Music collection description and catalog
The Music and Performing Arts Library is actively seeking to improve access and preservation of music materials through its digitization program. Some brittle paper materials have been digitized through the Libraries’ Brittle Books program. MPAL hopes to continue digitization projects.
- Musical Theater/Light Opera Piano/Vocal Scores
- Civil War Era and Lincoln-Themed Sheet Music, Songsters, and Anthologies
- James Edward Myers Collection of WWI Sheet Music