Public Computer Area
There are 16 computers on the first floor and an additional computer on the second floor at the top of the stairs. Each computer is equipped with the following software:
- Browsers: Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox
- Productivity: Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Documents: Adobe Acrobat, Designer, Distiller
- Images: Adobe Photoshop Elements, Paint
- Audio and Video: iTunes, Quicktime, Real Player, Windows Media Player
- CD and DVD creation: Nero Express and Nero Vision Express
- Accessibility software: Magnifier, Narrator, OnScreen Keyboard, Zoom Text
Printing and Scanning
- Flatbed scanners: 2 on the first floor, 1 on the second floor
- Large-scale flatbed scanner: 1 on the first floor
- B&W printing: $0.10 per page
- Color printing: $0.40 per page
- Students pay for printing through Illini Cash
- Troubleshooting tips for printing and scanning
- Print from your own laptop via the web
There is a digital microfilm viewing station available near the public terminals on the main floor. It allows digitization of microfilm, microfiche, and microcards, which can then be emailed, or saved to patron-provided flash-drive or disk. Here are some short video tutorials about using the digital machine.
Copying Library Materials
N.B. All responsibility for possible copyright violations, whether of recorded or printed materials, lies with the library user rather than with the Music and Performing Arts Library.
Study and Research Areas
Research carrels are located on the first and second floors of the Library. Preference is given to doctoral students. Apply at the Circulation Desk. Keys must be returned or renewed at the end of each academic semester and summer session.
Our reading room on the first floor is equipped with large tables and lots of natural light. There are outlets near some, but not all, tables.
There are additional tables on the first and second floor as well as group study rooms (see below).
Listening and Viewing Areas
There are 6 group rooms at MPAL which can be reserved for up to 2 hour periods. View more information and room availability.
All rooms are located on the second floor. See the first floor service desk for a key. Please note, these rooms are not practice rooms and may not be used as such.
- Audio: Rooms 3-5 have a turntable, cassette playback unit, compact disc player, and loudspeakers.
- Video: Rooms 3-6 have 50″ LED displays and video playback equipment containing some combination of DVD, VHS, Beta & Laserdisc players.
- Piano: Rooms 1, 3-5 have pianos or keyboards for score reading/coursework only; not for practicing.
On the second floor there are 3 carrels equipped with turntables, 1 with cassette playback units, and 4 with compact disc players.Instructions are provided for use. Listeners are responsible for locking carrels and returning keys when finished. See the Circulation desk for a key.
Other Spaces and Services
Location of Library Materials
To determine where each type of item (scores, books, recordings, etc.) is located in the Library, please see this guide. You can also download the Minrva app to get item locations on your phone. For a look at MPAL spaces and collections, see our photoset on Flickr.
Loanable iPads and Portable CD/DVD drives
Wireless access is available in the Music and Performing Arts Library and throughout the Music Building. For more information on connecting to the wireless network see Technology Services. We recommend the IllinoisNet network for UIUC users.