Employee Calendar (Upcoming Training)
Training and events are continually offered throughout the Library. We encourage all Library employees to keep an eye on the Employee Calendar so you’re informed about upcoming opportunities. If you are offering a training or wish to promote a training or event available to Library employees, please email email@example.com and we’ll help get it posted.
Library employees have access to several self-paced learning options, including the
- LinkedIn Learning, an enormous collection of professional development topics, including leadership, project management, communication, graphic design, supervision, and many others
- WebJunction, which has a course catalog and webinar recordings comprising library-specific skills and general topics
- Training for Library Employees channel, which has internally-developed training recordings on wellness topics and Library tools, such as WordPress
- O’Reilly Library, a large collection of courses and online books for technology topics (formerly Safari Tech Books)
Library employees can also request webinars that meet certain criteria. For more details, see Requesting a Webinar.
- Many past recordings offered by NISO and ALISE are available in our Webinar Box folder
- CARLI maintains a list of webinars in their CARLI Professional Development Alliance webpage
- FAST3 training, offered by Technology Services, is a great way to learn the basics or gain advanced skills with Microsoft Excel, Teams, Zoom and other tools and technologies. Most workshops are free and are less than two hours.
- Coursera for Illinois, free access to 170 non-credit on-line courses and Specializations.
- Library Supervisor Competency Framework: Website that describes important skills and knowledge for Library supervisors, as well as many professional development resources to improve supervisory skills.
- ALF Manager Skills Training: A supervision and management skills training series developed by members of Advancement, Library, and Foundation. It is offered once a semester and we continue to develop and shape this new program, from feedback received throughout our sessions
- Human Resources Series for Supervisors & Managers, an in-person series offered each semester that covers important information and policies that every supervisor should know
- Illinois Supervisory Skills Program: Illinois Human Resources runs this program from August through December with an expected time commitment of 8-10 hours per month and preference to those who currently supervise status employees. If you are interested, please review the eligibility and application requirements found on their program page and note that supervisor approval is needed. The Library will pay the one-time $250 fee for those admitted but note that the program only accepts 30 participants in total. If there is an abundance of interest, the AULs and Directors may need to help prioritize which applications to support. If you have questions, please email Library HR at firstname.lastname@example.org.