We’ve sorted through more than 200,000 websites related to agricultural communications
The mission of ACDC involves more than identifying, collecting and helping make available the huge, scattered body of knowledge about communications related to agriculture.
In addition, we also wish to help you connect with the dynamic, global Agricultural Communications Network in ways you may find useful. That is a big job, given the hundreds of thousands of websites featuring agricultural journalism and agricultural communications throughout the world.
Use these themed website clusters to help you connect
On this Gateway page, you will find several special website clusters to help you connect with this network. We believe them to be the most comprehensive existing set of websites maintained by organizations of professional journalists and communicators whose interests span the many dimensions of agriculture.
We welcome your suggestions for other clusters that might interest you. Please notify us of additions or corrections at firstname.lastname@example.org
Professional Communicator Organizations
- Agri Media Committee of Connectiv Agri Media Committee is part of Connectiv, the Business Information Association of the Software and Information Industry Association (SIIA). It was formerly identified as Agricultural Publishers Association and Agri Council of American Business Media. Objectives of the Committee involve research, promotion and other services in support of agricultural media.
- Agricultural Communicator Network (AAEA) Provides opportunities for professional improvement and networking to communicators across the spectrum of agricultural media – from editors, writers and photojournalists to designers and public relations professionals in the U.S. and Canada. Fosters the open exchange of ideas and professional excellence. Formerly American Agricultural Editors’ Association.
- Agricultural Communicators of Tomorrow (ACT) National organization of U.S. college students who are preparing to become professional communicators in agriculture.
- Agricultural Relations Council (ARC) U.S.-based professional development organization of public relations professionals who specialize in agriculture.
- Agricultural Writers SA (South Africa) A professional organization promoting the image and standards of agricultural journalism in South Africa.
- American Horse Publications A non-profit association dedicated to promoting better understanding and communications within the equine industry.
- Association for Communication Excellence in Agriculture, Natural Resources, and Life and Human Sciences (ACE) International organization of professional communicators in all areas of communications related to agricultural, natural and human resources.
Formerly known as Agricultural Communicators in Education.
- Association for International Agricultural and Extension Education (AIAEE) Network for agricultural educators and extension personnel to strengthen agricultural and extension education programs and institutions in support of agricultural development worldwide.
- Australasia-Pacific Extension Network (APEN) A professional organization for extension professionals involved in community and rural development, adult education, communication and related fields throughout Australia, Asia and New Zealand.
- Australian Council of Agricultural Journalists National umbrella organization for press clubs which focus on issues affecting rural and regional Australia.
- Belgium Association of Agricultural Journalists(ABJA) Professional organization of agricultural journalists and communicators related to agriculture in Belgium.
- British Guild of Agricultural Journalists Professional organization of agricultural and environmental journalists, media specialists, public relations and marketing managers, and others working in support of British agriculture.
- Cameroonian Association of Agricultural Journalists A not-for-profit organization to serve and foster excellence among agricultural journalists, editors, writers, photographers, and other professionals operating in agriculture, horticulture, forestry, fishery, and the food industries.
- Canadian Farm Writers Federation Organization of professional farm writers in Canada. Maintained at the University of Guelph.
- Communicating Science, Health, Environment and Risk (ComSHER) This division of the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication (AEJMC) is dedicated to the pursuit of high-quality mass communication scholarship and high academic and professional standards for mass communication education – particularly as these relate to science communication, health communication, environmental communication, and risk communication.
- Communication Officers of State Departments of Agriculture (COSDA) National association of information officers within U.S. state departments of agriculture.
- Cooperative Communicators Association (CCA) Association of professionals who communicate for cooperatives.
- Dansk Fodevare- og Landbrugsjournalister Professional organization of agricultural journalists and communicators related to agriculture in Denmark.
- European Network of Agricultural Journalists (ENAJ) The European Network of Agricultural Journalists, founded during December 2011 in Brussels, aims to establish closer working links between agricultural journalist guilds throughout the states of the European Union, its candidate countries, and members of the European Free Trade Association.
- Farm Show Council This international organization strives to improve the value of farm shows through education, communication and evaluation. The overall goal of the Council is to provide the best possible marketing showcase for exhibitors of agricultural equipment and related products to the farmer/rancher/producer.
- Farm Writers’ Association of New South Wales Provides a forum for rural journalists and other agri-communicators. Fosters communication about and promotes the interests of rural Australia in general and the New South Wales farm sector in particular.
- Finnish Association of Agriculture Journalists (MATO) Professional organization of agricultural journalists and communicators related to agriculture in Finland.
- Food and Environment Reporting Network (FERN) Independent non-profit news organization that commissions and produces in-depth and investigative stories in the subject areas of food, agriculture, and environmental health. It partners with local and national mainstream media outlets (print, broadcast, online).
- Föreningen Skogs-och Lantbruksjornalister (Sweden) The FSLJ network is for anyone who writes about agriculture, forestry, and gardening.
- Guild of Agricultural Journalists of Ireland Professional organization of agricultural journalists and communicators related to agriculture in Ireland.
- Guild of Food Writers Guild based in the United Kingdom to extend the knowledge and experience of food writers, encourage the development of new writers, advance public interest and knowledge of food, and campaign for improvements in the quality of food.
- Indian Agricultural Editors Association Professional organization of agricultural journalists and communicators related to agriculture in India.
- International Communication Association Addresses the study, teaching and application of all aspects of human mediated communication. The site includes intercultural and development communication, health communication, communication technology and other topics that involve agriculture-related communicating.
- International Federation of Agricultural Journalists (IFAJ) A forum for 4,500 agricultural journalists in 29 countries.
- International Food, Wine and Travel Writers Association Global network of journalists who cover the hospitality and lifestyle fields, and the people who promote them.
- International Society of Extension Education Professional organization to develop the discipline of extension education in support of agricultural and rural development.
- International Society of Weekly Newspaper Editors Helps those involved in the weekly press to improve standards of editorial writing and news reporting and to encourage strong, independent editorial voices in the spirit of ethical principles and practices. Helps develop community journalism as an instrument of mutual understanding, fostering freedom of the press in all nations.
- Livestock Publications Council An international, nonprofit organization serving the livestock communications industry. Involves more than 100 member publications with interest in species that represent the livestock industry.
- Media for Environment, Science, Health and Agriculture (MESHA) A non-partisan, not-for-profit association of communicators in Kenya who specialize in science, environment, agriculture, health, technology and development reporting.
- National Agri-Marketing Association (NAMA) Emphasizes the professional development of U.S. agricultural marketing communicators and others involved in agri-marketing.
- National Association of Farm Broadcasting (NAFB) A professional organization that serves the interests of the agricultural and rural lifestyle community, and creates value for broadcast, management and allied industry members.
- National Association of Science Writers Forum to promote good science writing through all media normally devoted to informing the public. Includes information about members who specialize in writing about nutrition, biology and the environment.
- National Market News Association Primarily an organization of federal and state market reporters, market news and information specialists, and analysts. The organization seeks to improve marketing information in line with changes in the marketing system and promote cooperation and exchange of new and helpful news between government agencies and industry.
- Netherlands Association of Agricultural and Horticultural Journalism (NVLJ) Professional organization of agricultural and horticultural journalists and communicators in the Netherlands.
- Network of Agricultural Communicators – The Gambia NAC serves agricultural writers, photographers, and other communicators associated with media, organizations, institutions, and authorities. They qualify for membership by ensuring an open exchange of ideas and fostering professional excellence both in The Gambia and internationally.
- New Zealand Guild of Agricultural Journalists and Communicators Professional organization of New Zealand journalists and communicators working with a focus on things agricultural.
- New Zealand Guild of Food Writers Professional body of food journalists and others involved in writing about, presenting, promoting, illustrating, and teaching about food and beverages.
- North American Agricultural Journalists A professional group of agricultural journalists in North America who report or edit agricultural news for newspapers, magazines, wires and syndicated services and are independent of agricultural organizations and businesses.
- Norwegian Guild of Agricultural Journalists (Norsk Landbruksjournalistlag) Professional organization of agricultural journalists and communicators related to agriculture in Norway.
- Philippine Agricultural Journalists (PAJ) This non-profit professional organization serves agriculture editors and reporters from the print and broadcast media, as well as information writers from government and private agencies involved in agriculture.
- Rural Media and Communicators SA/NT Association for rural journalists and others in the rural sector of South Australia and Northern Territory who deliver information of interest or benefit to the rural community as a whole.
- Rural Media Network Pakistan Association of journalists in the country areas who aim to promote the media and the practice of journalism throughout Pakistan.
- Rural Press Club of Queensland Aims to strengthen the links between rural media, public relations, agribusiness and government groups in Queensland, Australia. It also offers members entry to national and world-wide networks of like-minded colleagues.
- Rural Press Club of Victoria Offers a forum for fellowship among persons involved in the rural industry of Victoria, Australia, particularly working journalists.
- Society of Environmental Journalists A source for journalists reporting on the environment. Seeks to advance public understanding of environmental issues by improving the quality, accuracy and visibility of environmental reporting.
- South African Agricultural Writers’ Association A voluntary, non-profit-making professional association promoting the image and standards of agricultural journalism in South Africa.
- Swiss Agricultural Journalists Professional association of journalists and other specialists in communicating about agriculture and related sectors in Switzerland.
- Turf and Ornamental Communicators Association (TOCA) Serves communicators in the Green Industry by fostering an open exchange of information regarding issues that affect communications with various audiences.
- Turkish Guild of Agricultural Journalists An association of agricultural journalists devoted to professional development and collaboration throughout Turkey.
- Verband Deutscher Agrarjournalisten Professional organization of agricultural journalists and communicators related to agriculture in Germany.
- Verband der Agrarjournalisten und -publizisten in Österreich Professional organization of agricultural journalists and communicators related to agriculture in Austria.
- AgriMarketing Magazine serving those involved in marketing and communications in agribusiness. Official magazine of the National Agri-Marketing Association.
- Journal of Agricultural Education and Extension International journal on changes in agricultural knowledge and action systems.
- Journal of Applied Communications Quarterly refereed journal of the Agricultural Communicators in Education. Offers professional development for educational communicators who relate to agricultural, natural and human resources.
- Journal of Extension Journal of the U.S. Cooperative Extension System to expand and update the research and knowledge base of extension professionals and other educators.
- Philippine Journal of Development Communication A refereed biannual journal published by the College of Development Communication, University of the Philippines at Los Baños.
- South African Journal of Agricultural Extension Aims to advance and apply the science of extension and rural development by stimulating thought, study, research, discussion and the publication and exchange of knowledge both nationally and internationally.
Media and Methods
- Asian-Pacific Federation for Information Technology in Agriculture (APFITA) Forum for the exchange of information and discussion about agroinformatics to help solve the worldwide food problems. Focused mainly on the Asian and Oceanic countries.
- European Federation for Information Technology in Agriculture, Food and the Environment (EFITA) Facilitates the development and exchange of knowledge about information and communication technology (ICT) in support of agriculture in Europe.
- Huck Boyd National Center for Community Media A resource to serve and strengthen the local newspapers, radio stations, cable systems and other media that play a key role in the survival and revitalization of America’s small towns.
- Institute for Rural Journalism and Community Issues This institute based at the University of Kentucky helps non-metropolitan journalists define the public agenda for their communities and grasp the local impact of broader issues. Interprets rural issues for metro news media, conducts seminars and publishes research and good examples of rural journalism.
- International Network for Information Technology in Agriculture (INFITA) Provides a basis for cooperation among national and international organizations and associations with an interest in research and the utilization of information technology in agriculture, food, and the environment.
- Investigative Reporters and Editors Nonprofit organization based at the University of Missouri School of Journalism provides educational services to reporters, editors, and others interested in investigative journalism. Story database beat pages and other features involve some resources related to agriculture.
- Pan-American Federation for Information Technology in Agriculture (PanAFITA) Federation of agricultural professionals and organizations involved in information technology (IT) to promote improvement in the quality of food and fiber production, the quality of life of agricultural producers, and secure and sustainable food production in the Americas.
- Asian Institute for Development Communication A non-governmental organization to strengthen the link between communication and development in Asia. A United Nations accredited organization.
- Communication for Development Program A program of the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations. To strengthen the capabilities of national and regional research, extension, education and communication systems so that rural people have the knowledge and skills they need to improve their lives and manage natural resources in sustainable ways.
- Communication Initiative A forum to improve strategic communication thinking on development issues, advance communication for change, advocate the effectiveness of communication for sustainable development and help address key communication issues.
- Development Experience Clearinghouse Online resource for international development reports of the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID). Through the search system, this site provides information within sectors such as “communication” and “agricultural development.”
- Farm Radio International Canadian-based, not-for-profit organization partnering with radio broadcasters in Africa to fight poverty and food insecurity.
- International Institute for Communication and Development Independent non-profit foundation emphasizes the role and use of information and communication technologies in support of sustainable, locally oriented development.
- International Programme for the Development of Communication (IPDC) A major forum in the United Nations system designed to develop free and pluralistic media with a global approach to democratic development.
- Extension Resources of the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations Addresses the efficiency of extension systems in sustainable agriculture and rural development for food security.
- Extension resources of the World Bank (search on “extension”) Helps client countries in strengthening their agricultural extension and rural information systems as an important element of national innovation systems and strategies to reduce rural poverty.
- National Institute of Food and Agriculture This agency of the U.S. Department of Agriculture was formerly identified as the Cooperative State Research, Education and Extension Service (CSREES). It includes information about agriculture-related programs of education and extension. The search system permits searching on “communication” and related terms.
- Consumer Food Safety Behavior Briefings from the Economic Research Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture, about consumer concerns, information sources, consumption, risk and other aspects of food safety.
- Food Safety Site maintained by the Food Safety and Inspection Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture. Provides resources for consumers, educators and health professionals. Communicators may be especially interested in the food safety education campaigns and materials, as well as reports of consumer research and focus group testing.
- National Food Safety Educator’s Network Electronic network for food safety education from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
- Indigenous Knowledge (IK) Program for Development This integrated, online information system of the World Bank Group offers annotated links to websites (publications, organizations and networks, databases) managed all over the world.
- ACE Papers Historical records (1913 to date) of the American Association of Agricultural College Editors (AAACE), later renamed Agricultural Communicators in Education and currently Association for Communication Excellence in Agriculture, Natural Resources, and Life and Human Sciences, housed in the National Agricultural Library.
- Agricultural Advertising Collection The D’Arcy Collection at the University of Illinois includes almost 2 million original advertisements published between 1890 and 1970. Maintained by the College of Communications, it is a rich source of research information on products advertised by many advertising agencies. Includes thousands of ads featuring agricultural equipment, dairy products, chemicals, farm papers and other agricultural themes.
- Agricultural Advertising Exhibit See 20 images of agricultural and food advertisements in the University of Illinois Advertising Exhibit, maintained by the College of Communications. Exhibit features advertisements selected from the D’Arcy and Woodward Collections. Organized within 17 subject themes.
- Agricultural Communicators of Tomorrow (ACT) Archives Comprehensive finding aid to help interested persons locate information in the National ACT Archives.
- Development Communication Archive Reports, papers, printed material, surveys, articles, audiotapes, videocassettes and motion picture films make up the archive of the Clearinghouse on Development Communication of the Academy of Educational Development, Inc., 1960-1994.
- Farm, Field and Fireside The Farm, Field and Fireside collection contains historically significant U.S. farm weeklies published in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.
- Food and Environment Reporting Network This independent, non-profit news organization is based in New York City and began operations in 2011. It produces in-depth and investigative journalism on food, agriculture, and environmental health.Through partnerships with local and national mainstream media outlets, the Network seeks to “tell stories that will inspire, inform, and have lasting impact.”
- National Association of Farm Broadcasting (NAFB) Archives Comprehensive finding aid to help interested persons locate information in the NAFB Archives.
- Records of the Tobacco Market News Service Special collection in the National Agricultural Library includes historical information on the Tobacco Market News Service of the U.S. Department of Agriculture, between 1928 and 1971.
- Reflections – Farm and Food History This rural history website of Farms.com Ltd. is “dedicated to celebrating and digitizing the last 150 years of success in the Canadian agriculture and food industry.” Sections such as “Historical Articles Archive” and “Cartoon Archive” include information about agriculture-related media and communications
- Smokey Bear Collection Special collection in the National Agricultural Library contains varied materials from 1902 to 1994, with emphasis on advertising activities of the Cooperative Forest Fire Protection program.