The hiring process begins once someone has accepted a position until the onboarding process begins.
The hiring process for these employee groups is completed by the appropriate Library HR search coordinator once the search process is complete.
- Overview for Supervisors is an overview that covers from requesting funding to ending an assistantship.
- Instructions for Hiring a Graduate Assistant goes through each step of the Graduate Assistant hiring process.
- PGA Rates for FY2024 breaks down the salary, monthly rate, and hourly rate for each appointment percentage.
- The Graduate Assistant Request Letter Form needs to be completed for first and second year appointments.
- Handbook for Graduate Students and Advisors covers academic policies and requirements pertaining to graduate students as wells as administrative policy for programs, units and staff.
- Information on tax implications and pay check consequences
- Before hiring an hourly employee, please review the Hourly Employee Policies and Guidelines.
- The Library uses JOYCE to request hourly positions. Please view Requesting a New Position for a Hourly Employee for instructions.
- New positions must not start until the supervisor identified in JOYCE has received an automated email from HourlyEmpHR@library.illinois.edu stating that the position has been approved. Once the supervisor has received this email, the employee is cleared to start working as soon as the effective date on the Library Hourly Employment Record in the email.
- A criminal background check is required for Academic Hourly, Academic Professional, Civil Service, Extra Help, and Faculty employees. Please view the Background Checks page for more information.
- As part of the new hire process, incoming employees will complete their electronic I-9 and new hire forms. The Library Human Resources Coordinator for that employee class will reach out to the new employee to schedule a new hire appointment.
- Retirees interested in returning to work at the Library should review the Retiree Rehire Guidelines