Find Articles in Databases & Journals
Use databases to search multiple online journals at the same time. Find articles about a specific topic by using keywords, subject headings, authors, and more.
- Education Full-Text (1983 – )
- Education Index Retrospective (1929-1983)
- Educational Resources Information Center (Free, information about the ERIC system and access to the ERIC database.)
- EBSCO Professional Development Collection
- More: Education Related Databases
- More: Databases by Subject
- More: Find Online Journals & Databases (by Title or Subject)
Find Background Information
Reference sources, online or in print, include encyclopedias, dictionaries, handbooks, and directories and are great starting points for background information about a specific topic.
- Encyclopedia of Distance Learning
- The Encyclopedia of Education
- Encyclopedia of Language and Education
- Encyclopedia of Multicultural Education
- Encyclopedia of Special Education
- Gender and Education: An Encyclopedia
- John Dewey: Collected Works (via Past Masters)
Browse Useful Websites
Websites can provide statistics, data, articles, documents, and other information about a specific field of study.
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Digest of Education Statistics
- National Center for Education Statistics (NCES)
Develop Research Skills
Education Research Guides
Research guides provide suggestions for finding and using information about a specific subject.
- Guide to Sources in Education
- Education Research at a Distance
- Educators in Illinois
- Study Abroad: Education Sources
- Take Us To School! Resources for Student Teachers
Class guides are created by librarians to provide guides to helpful sources for a particular class.
Use Additional Library Resources
Education Related Libraries and Library Services
- Curriculum Collection
- School Collection
- College and University Rankings
- Directory of Education Collections in Illinois (Education-related materials in other academic libraries throughout Illinois)
- Education Standards
- English as an International Language
- Illinois School Reform Resource Locator
- The Test Collection
Learn About Other Resources on Campus
Learn about education resources, research, and services at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
About the Education Collection
The Education Collection in the Social Sciences, Health, and Education Library (SSHEL) supports the instructional and research programs in the College of Education, the Council of Teacher Education, and the faculty and students in other departments with programs that include particular aspects of education. Currently the collection numbers about 240,000 volumes, most of them in the central bookstacks of the Main Library. The collection includes areas such as early childhood, elementary, secondary, higher, continuing, multicultural, special, and human resource education, as well as philosophy of education, educational policy, educational psychology, curriculum and instruction, reading, testing and measurement, and educational administration. The collection is complemented by 58,000 volumes in the Curriculum Collection of elementary and secondary classroom materials and over 152,000 volumes in the School Collection of children’s and young adult literature.
Please direct all comments or requests for information to Nancy O’Brien, Education Librarian (217-333-2408).