The Library has approximately 30 subject libraries, area studies centers, and special collections across campus. Some libraries are in the Main Library building and others are located near the department or college they serve. We also have virtual libraries for some of our subject areas. Each library offers a full range of reference services geared toward assisting library users.
You have several Library tour options:
- Arrange for a personal or group tour
- Self-guided and video tours
- Search for the Library’s geocache
Arrange for a Personal or Group Tour
To arrange a group tour (please allow two weeks planning time for any requested tour):
- If you would like to request a subject specific tour, please contact your departmental library.
- For students, faculty, and staff who would like to request a tour of the Main Library, please contact Sarah Christensen, Visual Resources and Outreach Specialist: email@example.com, 217-333-3292. This tour includes all major service points in the Main Library.
- To request tours of the Main Stacks, please contact Central Access Services.
- Tours of the Library for community or alumni groups may be arranged by contacting Heather Murphy, Associate Director of Advancement for Publications and Public Affairs: firstname.lastname@example.org, 217-333-3758.
Self-Guided and Video Tours
- Listen to an audio tour using a borrowed mp3 player. Audio tours of the Main Library are available at the Information Desk on the first floor of the Main Library or at the Undergraduate Library Information Services Desk. The mp3 players may be charged out with a University ID. If you don’t have a University ID you must leave a driver’s license or other form of identification. The tour takes approximately one hour to complete.
- Listen to an audio tour on your own device. Audio tours can be downloaded or streamed through the podcast Checkout, available on iTunes, Google Play, and Stitcher.
- Watch a video tour of the library