Due to the nature of the high-density shelving arrangements at Oak Street Library, users are not able to browse materials at the shelf.
Many of the materials held at Oak Street Library are also available digitally.
All items shelved at the facility have a full bibliographic record in the Library’s online catalog and the location is clearly designated, including a note explaining how to request those materials.
If you come to the Oak Street Library and ask for an item, it is unlikely that we will be able to retrieve it for you that day. Please see below for how to request materials from Oak Street Library locations. If you need materials more urgently, please call us at 217-265-9476 and we will do our best to assist you.
Regularly Circulating Materials
About 85% of the items at Oak Street Library are part of the regular circulating collection. You can recognize them by the following locations in the online catalog:
- Oak Street Library Vaults Request Online
- Oak Street Library SSHEL Collection Request Online
Please submit requests for these items via the online catalog. You can choose any library as the pick-up location.
Special Oak Street Locations
Requires staff mediation
Due to the often fragile or special nature of items in the following locations, patron requests for these locations are handled by staff in the departmental library.
- Oak Street Library Architecture and Art Collection – Contact Ricker Library Staff to Request
- Oak Street Library International and Area Studies Collection – Contact IAS Library Staff to Request
- Oak Street Library Map Collection – Contact Map Library Staff to Request
- Oak Street Library Newspaper Collection – Contact HPNL Library Staff to Request