Please also see:
We are pleased to accept donations from departments on campus. The information on this page and the page linked above should answer most questions you have, but please feel free to contact the Gifts staff at email@example.com or (217) 300-4668 if you need further assistance.
First Right of Refusal
All campus units should be aware that the Library holds the first right of refusal for any materials that could be added into the collection. The disposal of any books, journals or other likely library items, purchased in the normal course of University sanctioned business, should occur in consultation with Gifts or the Office of Collections and Technical Services. This process insures the Library will continue to maintain collections for the campus, the state and the world, by assuring University funds are spent responsibly. A similar first right of refusal is also held by the University Archives for office papers and other documents generated in the normal course of University sanctioned business. Contact the University Archives for more information.
Note that these guidelines do not apply to privately owned collections housed on University property.
Before You Donate
Please take a moment to review the “Types of Material to Donate” section on the Gifts Information for Donors page. This will give you some idea of what items typically do not make desirable donations. If you are unsure whether your material falls into any of those categories, please contact Gifts staff for further assistance. Once donated, your material will be evaluated and either accessioned into the collection, sold in the annual library book sale, or disposed of in any other way that seems fit.
If your material is concentrated in one particular subject area, it is recommended to contact a subject specialist librarian. They can evaluate the materials in question against Library holdings to determine if they will complement existing collections. Gifts staff can help put you in contact with the appropriate librarian, or click for contact information for the various departmental libraries.
In the past, the library was unable to sell items that possessed UIUC property stamps and/or University of Illinois bookplates. Due to a change in legislation, these items can now be resold, so we are pleased to accept them.
How to Donate
To make a donation, you may do any one of the following:
- Drop your material off at the Main Library loading dock during business hours (M-F, 8am-4pm). The loading dock is located at the corner of Armory and Wright. Please clearly label all of the boxes as gifts for the collection. While not necessary, it would also be helpful to include a copy of any email correspondence, as it helps facilitate processing.
- Contact a librarian in any of our departmental libraries.
- Send material through campus mail to Library Gifts, 305 OSLF, MC-527.
- In some instances, we can arrange for pickup of large donations. Please contact Gifts staff for further information.
Due to the large number of donations we receive, we ask that departments follow these guidelines:
- Please indicate which department is doing the sending, as well as your name and contact information, in case we have further questions.
- If any email correspondence has occurred, it would be helpful to include a copy, as it facilitates processing.
- To ensure we have sufficient space set aside for the intake of sizable donations, please email the Gifts staff at firstname.lastname@example.org at least a week in advance of a large drop off.