Smarter, Strategic and Sustainable Libraries
A Professional Development Program for Library Leaders and Innovators
May 22 – June 18, 2019
The 2019 Mortenson Center Associates Program will offer individuals working in a library setting outside the United States an opportunity to explore current issues and trends in the library field and engage with librarians implementing cutting-edge programs and services.
Smarter, Strategic and Sustainable Libraries: A Professional Development Program for Library Leaders and Innovators will engage participants in learning about novel and inventive practices and services in areas such as:
- Leadership, Communication and Managing Change
- Smarter Strategies
- Digital and Print Collections and Repositories
- Information Technology
- Marketing and Advocacy
- International Professional Networking
- Designing for Change and Community Engagement
2019 Program Highlights
Download informative flyer here
- Seminars and Workshops which provide an overview of current trends in the field. Library experts will be invited to share their perspectives, offer expertise, and foster conversations on the themes of communication and leadership.
- Tours of a variety of libraries, including academic, public, and school libraries. We may also visit the American Library Association headquarters in Chicago, Illinois and other sites of interest.
- Networking with dynamic group of international colleagues during and post-program.
- Participants will develop individual action plans, appropriate to their professional and institutional needs, and will receive post-program implementation review.
- Each participant will receive a Certificate of Program Participation upon completion.
- Scheduling to allow participants to attend the Annual Meeting of the American Library Association (ALA), if they wish.
- The 2019 Annual Meeting will be in Washington, D.C., June 20-25. Arrangements and registration for the conference must be made separately and are not included in program costs.
Program activities will begin on 22 May 2019. The last day of program activities will be 18 June 2019.
15 December 2018: Application Deadline
The final deadline for application submissions is December 15th 2018. All application materials must be submitted by 9 January 2019, including a fully completed application, CV, and Recommendation Letter. (Please note: Applications and materials received after December 15, 2018 will moved to the following year’s program for consideration in 2020.)
9 January 2019: Notification of Application Status
All applicants will be notified of application status by 9 January 2019 (end of business CST). Applicants accepted to the Mortenson Center Associates Program must send a non-refundable $USD 200.00 deposit by 15 February 2019 in order to hold their place in the program. Payment instructions will be provided upon acceptance, or after 9 January 2019.
15 February 2019: Deposit Payment Due
- 15 February 2019 – $USD 200.00 Deposit Due (all deposit payments are non-refundable)
5 April 2019: Remaining Balance Payment Due
- 5 April 2019 – Remaining Balance Due
- Application must be submitted in English along with supporting documentation in order to be considered.
- Applicants must secure adequate funding to support a stay at the Mortenson Center in order to be accepted into the program.
- This program is delivered in English only. Participants should be fluent in conversational English and possess a reading knowledge of English.
Applications are open for the 2019 Mortenson Associates Program. We encourage interested participants to submit applications for the 2019 Mortenson Summer Associates Program.
The program cost for the 2019 Mortenson Associates Program is to be determined. The cost for 2018 was $4,000 USD.
Program costs are paid prior to the program’s start date and include:
- Housing (shared, student-style accommodations while on campus and shared hotel accommodations while on out-of-town excursions)
- Partial meals
- Local transportation
- Programming costs
- Speaker fees
- Medical insurance
- Other materials and logistics
The program cost does not include transportation costs to and from Champaign-Urbana.These arrangements must be funded and arranged by individual participants.
Applicants accepted by the Mortenson Center must send a $USD 200 deposit in order to hold their place in the program. This non-refundable deposit will be deducted from your program fees.
- 15 February 2019 – $USD 200.00 – Deposit Due (all deposit payments are non-refundable)
- 5 April 2019 – Remaining Balance Due
Payment instructions will be provided to participants upon notification of acceptance, on or after 9 January 2019.
Grant for professionals working in the Arab World
Application deadline for the 2019 Naseej Academy-SLA-AGC: TBA
A free grant jointly awarded by Naseej Academy and the Arabian Gulf Chapter of the Special Libraries Association (SLA-AGC) will enable two professionals in library, information and archive institutions in the Arab world to participate in the Mortenson Center Associates Program, which is designed to provide librarians and information specialists with the skills necessary to become leaders and trainers of their colleagues upon their return to their home institutions.
The Mortenson Center has engaged in this grant program from its inception, with the first awards made in 2017. Read more about the Grant and past recipients by clicking here.
2018 application: http://success.naseej.com/mortenson-grant-2018
2019 application will open soon.
Curious about what it’s like to be an Associate? Explore below!