Smart and Smarter: Leadership and Innovation in Libraries
A Professional Development Program for Library Leaders and Innovators
May 25 – June 21, 2022
The 2022 Mortenson Center Associates Program will offer individuals working in a library setting outside the United States an opportunity to explore current issues and trends in the library field and engage with librarians implementing cutting-edge programs and services.
Smart and Smarter: Leadership and Innovation in Libraries: A Professional Development Program for Library Leaders and Innovators will engage participants in learning about novel and inventive practices and services in areas such as:
- Innovation by Design
- Leadership, Communication and Managing Change
- Smarter Strategies
- Emerging Technologies and AI
- Digital and Print Collections and Repositories
- Marketing and Advocacy
- International Professional Networking
Accepting Applications for the 2022 Mortenson Associates Program
For more information and to apply, please download the 2022 Information Flyer and see below for more information.
2022 Program Highlights
Download the Information Flyer here
- Seminars and Workshops which provide an overview of current trends in the field. Library experts will be invited to share their perspectives, offer expertise, and foster conversations on the themes of communication and leadership.
- Tours of a variety of libraries, including academic, public, and school libraries. We may also visit the American Library Association headquarters in Chicago, Illinois and other sites of interest.
- Networking with dynamic group of international colleagues during and post-program.
- Participants will develop individual action plans, appropriate to their professional and institutional needs, and will receive post-program implementation review.
- Each participant will receive a Certificate of Program Participation upon completion.
- Scheduling to allow participants to attend the Annual Meeting of the American Library Association (ALA), if they wish.
- The 2022 ALA Annual Meeting will be in Washington, DC, June 23-28. Arrangements and registration for the conference must be made separately and are not included in program costs.
Program activities will begin on 25 May 2022. The last day of program activities will be 21 June 2022.
15 December 2021: Application Deadline
All application materials must be submitted by 15 December 2021, including a fully completed application and 3 supplementary documents.
12 January 2022: Notification of Application Status
All applicants will be notified of application status by 12 January 2022 (end of business CST). Applicants accepted to the Mortenson Center Associates Program must send a non-refundable $USD 200.00 deposit by 16 February 2022 in order to hold their place in the program. Payment instructions will be provided upon acceptance, or after 12 January 2022.
16 February 2022: Deposit Payment Due
$USD 200.00 Deposit Due (all deposit payments are non-refundable)
1 April 2022: Remaining Balance Payment Due
Remaining Balance Due
- Application (typed and signed) must be submitted in English along with the 3 supporting documents in order to be considered.
- Applicants must secure adequate funding to support a stay at the Mortenson Center in order to be accepted into the program.
- This program is delivered in English only. Participants should be fluent in conversational English and possess a reading knowledge of English.
Applications are open for the 2022 Mortenson Associates Program. We invite your applications and encourage interested participants to submit questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The program cost for the 2022 Mortenson Associates Program is to be determined. The cost for 2019 was $4,000 USD.
Program costs are paid prior to the program’s start date and include:
- Housing (shared, student-style accommodations while on campus and shared hotel accommodations while on out-of-town excursions)
- Partial meals
- Local transportation
- Programming costs
- Speaker fees
- Medical insurance
- Other materials and logistics
The program cost does not include transportation costs to and from Champaign-Urbana. These arrangements must be funded and arranged by individual participants.
Applicants accepted by the Mortenson Center must send a $USD 200 deposit in order to hold their place in the program. This non-refundable deposit will be deducted from your program fees.
- 16 February 2022 – $USD 200.00 – Deposit Due (all deposit payments are non-refundable)
- 1 April 2022 – Remaining Balance Due
Payment instructions will be provided to participants upon notification of acceptance, on or after 12 January 2022.
Grant for professionals working in the Arab World
Application deadline for the 2022 Naseej Academy-SLA-AGC: To Be Determined
A free grant jointly awarded by Naseej Academy and the Arabian Gulf Chapter of the Special Libraries Association (SLA-AGC) will enable two professionals in library, information and archive institutions in the Arab world to participate in the Mortenson Center Associates Program, which is designed to provide librarians and information specialists with the skills necessary to become leaders and trainers of their colleagues upon their return to their home institutions.
The Mortenson Center has engaged in this grant program from its inception, with the first awards made in 2017. Read more about the Grant and past recipients by clicking here.