Shaping the Future of Libraries
A Professional Development Program for Library Leaders and Innovators
May 24 – June 20, 2023
The 2023 Mortenson Center Associates Program will offer individuals working in a library setting outside the United States an opportunity to explore critical issues and trends in the library field and engage with librarians implementing cutting-edge programs and services.
Shaping the Future of Libraries: A Professional Development Program for Library Leaders and Innovators will engage participants in learning about novel and inventive practices and services in areas such as:
- Emerging Trends and Library Futures
- Innovation by Design
- Leadership, Communication and Managing Change
- Emerging Technologies and AI
- Digital and Print Collections and Repositories
- Sustainable Development
- International Professional Networking
Accepting Applications for the 2023 Mortenson Associates Program
For more information and to apply, please download the 2023 Information Flyer and see below for more information.
- Information Session | To be held on 19 October 2022 at 7:00am CT (Chicago)
Register today for the virtual information session about the 2023 Mortenson Associates Program.
2023 Program Highlights
Download the Information Flyer here
- Seminars and Workshops which provide an overview of current trends in the field. Library experts will be invited to share their perspectives, offer expertise, and foster conversations on the themes of communication and leadership.
- Tours of a variety of libraries, including academic, public, and school libraries. We may also visit the American Library Association headquarters in Chicago, Illinois and other sites of interest.
- Networking with dynamic group of international colleagues during and post-program.
- Participants will develop individual action plans, appropriate to their professional and institutional needs, and will receive post-program implementation review.
- Each participant will receive a Certificate of Program Participation upon completion.
- Scheduling to allow participants to attend the Annual Meeting of the American Library Association (ALA), if they wish.
- The 2023 ALA Annual Meeting will be in Chicago, IL, June 22-27, 2023. Arrangements and registration for the conference must be made separately and are not included in program costs.
Program activities will begin on 24 May 2023. The last day of program activities will be 20 June 2023.
15 December 2022: Application Deadline
All application materials must be submitted by 15 December 2022, including a fully completed application and 3 supplementary documents.
11 January 2023: Notification of Application Status
All applicants will be notified of application status by 11 January 2022 (end of business CST). Applicants accepted to the Mortenson Center Associates Program must send a non-refundable $USD 200.00 deposit by 15 February 2023 in order to hold their place in the program. Payment instructions will be provided upon acceptance or after 11 January 2023.
15 February 2023: Deposit Payment Due
$USD 200.00 Deposit Due (all deposit payments are non-refundable)
31 March 2023: Remaining Balance Payment Due
Remaining Balance Due
- Application (typed and signed) must be submitted in English along with the 3 supporting documents in order to be considered.
- Applicants must secure adequate funding to support a stay at the Mortenson Center in order to be accepted into the program.
- This program is delivered in English only. Participants should be fluent in conversational English and possess a reading knowledge of English.
Applications are open for the 2023 Mortenson Associates Program. We invite your applications and encourage interested participants to submit questions to email@example.com.
The program cost for the 2023 Mortenson Associates Program is to be determined.
The cost for 2022 was $USD 4,000.00.
Program costs are paid prior to the program’s start date and include:
- Housing (shared, student-style accommodations while on campus and shared hotel accommodations while on out-of-town excursions)
- Partial meals
- Local transportation
- Programming costs
- Speaker fees
- Medical insurance
- Other materials and logistics
The program cost does not include transportation costs to and from Champaign-Urbana. These arrangements must be funded and arranged by individual participants.
Applicants accepted by the Mortenson Center must send a $USD 200 deposit in order to hold their place in the program. This non-refundable deposit will be deducted from your program fees.
- 15 February 2023 – $USD 200.00 – Deposit Due (all deposit payments are non-refundable)
- 31 March 2023 – Remaining Balance Due
Payment instructions will be provided to participants upon notification of acceptance, on or after 11 January 2023.
Grant for professionals working in the Arab World
Application deadline for the 2023 Naseej Academy-SLA-AGC: To Be Determined
A free grant jointly awarded by Naseej Academy and the Arabian Gulf Chapter of the Special Libraries Association (SLA-AGC) will enable two professionals in library, information and archive institutions in the Arab world to participate in the Mortenson Center Associates Program, which is designed to provide librarians and information specialists with the skills necessary to become leaders and trainers of their colleagues upon their return to their home institutions.
The Mortenson Center has engaged in this grant program from its inception, with the first awards made in 2017. Read more about the Grant and past recipients by clicking here.