For more details on how to search for dissertations and theses please visit the library’s online Dissertations and Theses Catalog for the University of Illinois. Information about dissertations can be searched using keyword, author, or advisor search criteria.
In addition, students and researchers can access a vast database of doctoral theses accepted by universities throughout India at Shodhganga. Within the database, Indian theses can be searched using search criteria such as author, supervisor, subject, title, language, university, and year of award.
The following dissertations and theses have been organized by country and at times by topic within:
- Monje, David Matthew – Making enemies: Articulations of the “enemy” in the War on Terror. Thesis (PhD), 2007.
- Sharif, Sharifa. – Educated Afghan women in search of their identities. Thesis (PhD), 1994.
- Ahmed, Quazi Mesbahuddin – Foreign aid, domestic savings and economic growth: the experience of Bangladesh, 1972-1991.Thesis (PhD), 1992.
- Huda, Shamsul – Elite composition and power structure of Chittagong, Bangladesh, 1940-1985. Thesis (PhD), 1989.
- Islam, Mursaleena – Floodplain resource management: an economic analysis of policy issues in Bangladesh. Thesis (PhD), 2001.
- Quayes, Muhammad Shakil – The agricultural household in Bangladesh: a disaggregated empirical analysis with particular emphasis on the demand for food calories. Thesis (PhD), 2000.
- Quazi, Rahim Masudur – Macro performance, fiscal behavior, and water investments: three essays on the effects of foreign and in Bangladesh. Thesis (PhD), 1999.
- Rashid, A. S. M. Shahidur. – Idiosyncratic income shocks, access to credit, and households’ welfare in an agrarian economy: Micro-econometric studies on rural households in Bangladesh. Thesis (PhD), 1999.
- Saroyara Jahana – An inter-regional planning model for rural development in Bangladesh. Thesis (PhD), 1987.
- Tan, Kim Lai – An economic analysis of tubewell irrigation; a case study in Dhamrai, Bangladesh. Thesis (MS), 1985.
Currently there have not been any dissertations or theses written on the nation of Bhutan at the University of Illinois.
The nation of India has generated a multitude of dissertations and thesis and as a result they have been organized into three domains:
- Adisasmito-Smith, Steven Eric. – Svaraj and self-reliance: Translating the self and its rule from the “Bhagavad-Gita” and “Manusmriti” to the works of Emerson, Thoreau, and Gandhi. Thesis (PhD), 2003.
- Arnold, Alison E. – Hindi film¯i g¯it: on the history of commercial Indian popular music. Thesis (PhD), 1991.
- Babiracki, Carol M – Musical and cultural interaction in tribal India: the karam repertory of the Mundas of Chotanagpur. Thesis (PhD), 1991.
- Bhattacharya, Himika – Is my honor not honor? Women’s narratives of marriage, violence and culture in Lahaul, India. Thesis (PhD), 2008.
- Chakravarty, Sumita – Identity and authenticity: nationhood and the popular Indian cinema, 1947-1962.Thesis (PhD), 1987.
- Fiol, Stefan Patrick – Constructing regionalism: Discourses of spirituality and cultural poverty in the popular music of Uttarakhand, North India. Thesis (PhD), 2008.
- Forbes, Geraldine Hancock – Positivism in Bengal: a case study in the transmission and assimilation of an ideology. Thesis, 1972.
- Geldard, Alison Elizabeth – Music and musical performance among the East Indians in Chicago. Thesis (M. Mus), 1981.
- George, Arun – Design guidelines for the Goshree Roadlink in Kochi, India. Thesis (MLA), 2001.
- Hemenway, Stephen Ignatius – The novel of India Summary: On English novels about India; a study. Thesis (PhD), 1972. Subjects: Forster, E. M. (Edward Morgan), 1879-1970. Passage to India. English fiction–Authors, Indic–History and criticism. Anglo-Indian fiction–History and criticism.
- Layng-Awasthi, Tracey – Indian English fiction and the American reader: non-native texts in the ESL classroom. Thesis (AM), 1994.
- Lutz, Richard – The effect of pronoun type on first and second language perceptual strategies in Hindi. Thesis (PhD), 1985.
- Marlow, Patrick Edwards – Origin and development of the Indo-Aryan quotatives and complementizers: an areal approach. Thesis (PhD), 1997.
- Mazumder, Aparajita – Cross-cultural refractions: India in English Romantic poetry. Thesis (PhD), 1990.
- Mishra, Mithilesh – The syllable structure and stress patterns of the Maithili language. Thesis (PhD), 2006.
- Mitchell, Lisa Ann – Acceptability of variation in nativized varieties of English: India as a case study. Thesis (MA), 1993.
- Mitra, Ananda – Mahabharat on Doordarshan: the articulation of television and popular culture in India. Thesis (PhD), 1992.
- Murase, Satoru – Patchwork jacket and loincloth: an ethnographic study of the Bauls of Bengal. Thesis (PhD), 1991.
- Murase, Satoru – Rethinking ritual purity-impurity in India. Thesis (MA), 1984. Neuman, Daniel M The cultural structure and social organization of musicians in India: the perspective from Delhi. Thesis, 1974.
- Oldenburg, Veena Talwar – The making of colonial Lucknow, 1856-1877. Thesis (PhD), 1980.
- Pandharipande, Rajeshwari – Syntax and semantics of the passive construction in selected South Asian languages. Thesis (PhD), 1981.
- Panjwani, Jyoti – From ‘A room of one’s own’ to ‘A room in the home’: Discourses of negation in Indian feminist post-colonial fiction of Anita Desai, Mannu Bhandari and Ashapurna Devi. Thesis (PhD), 1996.
- Pruitt, Eric S. – Exegesis and the quest for textual univalency in the Indian philosophical tradition [microform]: a comparative study of the Bhagavad-Gita commentaries of Shankara and Swami A.C. Bhaktivedanta Prabhupada. Thesis (BA), 1993.
- Schäufele, Steven William – Free word-order syntax: the challenge from Vedic Sanskrit to contemporary formal syntactic theory. Thesis (PhD), 1991.
- Schultz, Anna C. – Rastriya kirtan of Maharashtra: Musical fragments of nationalist politics. Thesis (PhD), 2004.
- Slawek, Stephen Matthew – K¯irtan : a study of the sonic manifestations of the divine in the popular Hindu culture of Ban¯aras. Thesis (Ph.D.), 1986.
- Subbarao, K.V. – Noun phrase complementation in Hindi. Thesis (PhD), 1983.
- Tsiang-Starcevic, Sarah Yvonne – The discourse functions of subordinate constructions in classical Sanskrit narrative texts. Thesis (PhD), 1997.
- Venkataraman, Kalpagam. – Rasa in Indian aesthetics: Interface of literature and sculpture. Thesis (PhD), 2003.
- Wolf, Richard Kent – Innovation, interpretation, and the maintenance of tradition in the Karaikkudi style of vina playing. Thesis (MM.), 1989.
- Wolf, Richard Kent – Of God and death: music in ritual and everyday life: a musical ethnography of the Kotas of South India. Thesis (PhD), 1997.
Social Sciences ↑
- Abraham, Itty – Security, technology and ideology: “strategic enclaves” in Brazil and India, 1945-1989.Thesis (PhD), 1993.
- Aggarwal, Arjun Prakash – Comparison of selected aspects of American and Indian labor Law. Thesis (JSD), 1959.
- Asthana, Vandana – Discourses of power and resistance in the water policy process of Delhi, India. Thesis (PhD), 2008.
- Barnes, Douglas – FrenchThe impact of agricultural development on social structure in India: a district level analysis from 1961 to 1971.Thesis, 1979.
- Barua, Pradeep P. – Race, politics, and armies: the dynamics of military modernization in twentieth-century colonial India. Thesis (PhD), 1995.
- Basu, Sriparna – Overlapping terrains: orientalism, Indian nationalism and the erotics of cross-cultural contact. Thesis (PhD), 1999.
- Bhattacherjee, Debashish – Union-type, labor market structure, and bargaining outcomes in Indian manufacturing: an analysis of the new unionism in greater Bombay. Thesis (PhD), 1987.
- Birla, Suresh Chandra – Regional demand analysis of major food grains in India. Thesis (PhD), 1970.
- Bower, Mary Elizabeth – Communism in India [microform]: an analytical perspective. Thesis (BA) in Political Science, 1980.
- Chakravarty, Pradip – The political economy of mass media development in India 1947-1984. Thesis (PhD), 1994.
- Damle, Vivek Madhav – Analysis of the Indian vegetable seed industry. Thesis (PhD), 2000.
- Darda, Jayashree – Landscape design guidelines for cave temples and monasteries in western India. Thesis (MLA), 1990.
- Debchaudhury, Sudata – Japanese imperialism and the Indian nationalist movement: a study of the political and psychological impact of possible invasion and actual occupation, 1939-1945. Thesis (PhD), 1992.
- DeSousa, Valerian – The constitution of the colonial labor subject: labor law in Colonial India, 1881 to 1936.Thesis (PhD), 1993.
- Deva, Vrinda – Women’s bargaining power in the household: Self-employment versus wage employment among low-income women in India. Thesis (PhD), 2003.
- Gour, Sudama Swarup – A study in concepts and measurement of labor force and labor requirements in agriculture with special reference to India. Thesis (MS), 1963.
- Gujral, Ragini – The military, war and national integration: symbolic treatment of the military and war for purposes of national integration in Indian mass media. Thesis (PhD), 1984.
- Gurdev Singh – Operating capital use in relation to investment in depreciable assets on farm firms in central Punjab, India. Thesis (PhD), 1979.
- Hall, Charles Joseph – The maharaja’s account books: state and society under the Sikhs, 1799-1849. Thesis (PhD), 1981.
- Heinrich, Steven Allan – Code switching and contextual culture: the Indian model of stability maintenance. Thesis (PhD), 1991.
- Householder, David Eugene – Caging the rainbow: the effects of center-periphery conflict on a major adult education program in India. Thesis (PhD), 1984.
- Jha, Satish Chandra – Indian land reform research literature. Thesis (PhD), 1967.
- Jindia, Jaswant Rai – Estimation of costs and returns on Indian farms: sampling problems and production function analysis .Thesis (PhD), 1970.
- Kolavalli, Shashidhara – Economic analysis of conjunctive use of water: the case of Mahi-Kadana irrigation project in Gujarat, India. Thesis (PhD), 1986.
- Madaiah, Madappa – Financial intermediaries and monetary policy. Thesis (PhD), 1968.
- Mandana, Ganapathy Biddanda – Indian tea in the world market. Thesis (MS), 1993.
- Malik, Arshad Salim. – An historical analysis of student activism in India, prior to 1947.Thesis (MS), 1990.
- McLain, Robert Anthony. – The body politic: Imperial masculinity, the Great War, and the struggle for the Indian self, 1914–1918. Thesis (PhD), 2003.
- Mehra, Beloo – The home-school relations: an exploration into the perspectives of parents and schools on Asian Indian cultural model of schooling. Thesis (PhD), 1998.
- Mehra, Bharat – Mandala and the sacred landscape of traditional Hindu cities. Thesis (MLA), 1997.
- Mehta, Rini Bhattacharya – Prisoners of history: Bengali cultural nationalists and the Hindu past. Thesis (PhD), 2006.
- Menon, Goutham M – Care giving and schizophrenia: understanding the worldview of Asian Indian families. Thesis (PhD), 1997.
- Menon, M. Rajan – India and the Soviet Union: a case study of international influence. Thesis, 1979.
- Misra, Rama Shanker – Production and market potentials of soybeans in India. Thesis, 1970.
- Mohanty, Chandra Talpade – The hidden curriculum of sex roles in two urban middle class Bombay preschools. Thesis (PhD), 1987.
- Murthi, Meera. – Rape attributions in India: the influence of attitudes towards women, violence, and communities. Thesis (PhD), 2006.
- Murti, Kamakshi P. – Die Reinkarnation des Lesers als Autor : ein rezeptionsgeschichtlicher Versuch über den Einfluss der altindischen Literatur auf deutsche Schriftsteller um 1900.Thesis (PhD),1987
- Narayan, Arathir – A comparative analysis of the Indian textile and apparel industries. Thesis (MS), 1988.
- Ollikkala, Robert Charles – Concerning Begum Akhtar: “Queen of Ghazal”. Thesis ( PhD),1997. Subjects: Akhtar, Begum, 1914-1974.
- Prasad, Srirupa – Social production of hygiene: Domesticity, gender, and nationalism in late colonial Bengal and India. Thesis (PhD), 2006.
- Propp, Kathleen M. – The establishment of agricultural universities in India; a case study of the role of USAID-U.S. university technical assistance. Thesis (MA), 1968.
- Raghavulu, C. V. – Organizational conflict in Indian government organizations. Thesis (PhD), 1976.
- Rajagopalan, Swarna – National integration : the state in search of community. Thesis (PhD), 1998.
- Raman, Deepa – The meaning and role of the Hindu temple in the United States. Thesis (MLA), 1993.
- Ramu, G. N. – Family and caste in urban India : a case study. Thesis, 1972.
- Ranganath, Nicole Therese – Wedding women to tradition: The politics of marriage in the Indian Diaspora, 1947—2002. Thesis (PhD), 2003.
- Rao, Srinivas M. – Attempts at secession in India. Thesis (MA), 1989.
- Sardesai, Shonali – The management and mismanagement of ethno-regional conflicts: the case of South Asia. Thesis (PhD), 2000.
- Sen, Siddhartha – Role of Indian NGO’s in housing and development: a critical appraisal. Thesis (PhD), 1991.
- Shaw, Annapurna – The role of the casual poor in a Third World urban economy: a case study of Calcutta, India. Thesis (PhD), 1985.
- Smiley, Chareva Leigh – American Hinduism [microform] : South Asian religious beliefs and practices as incorporated into American culture in the New Age. Thesis (BA), 1994.
- Sridhar, Kamal Keskar – The development of English as an elite language in the multilingual contest of India : its educational implications.Thesis,1977.
- Tata, Lakshmi S. – Factors facilitating and hindering safer sex negotiations among female sex workers in Pune, India: Conversations with women in sex work. Thesis (PhD), 2004.
- Tellis, Allwyn – Mahatma Gandhi’s “Constructive Programme”: Building a new India. Thesis (PhD), 2006.
- Varma, Alka – Effect of U.S.-India bilateral agreements on the growth of apparel trade with India. Thesis (MS), 1989.
- Vasudeva, Sunita – The poverty of communication theory in India. Thesis (PhD), 1994.
- Venkataraman, Jayashree – Indigenization process of alcoholism treatment from the American to the Indian context. Thesis (PhD), 1996.
- Weinstein, Jay Allan – Madras: an analysis of urban ecological structure in India. Dissertation, 1973.
- Yesuratnam, Basimalla –Attitudes of secondary school teachers in Guntur district, Andhra Pradesh, India toward in-service education. Thesis (PhD), 1982.
Hard Sciences ↑
- Deo, Susan Ruth Rothrock An economic analysis of biogas technology for a hypothetical village in rural India. Thesis (MS), 1980.
- Kotamraju, Pradeep The ‘other’ energy crisis and economic development: the role of non-commercial fuels in Indian subsistence agriculture. Thesis (PhD), 1985.
- Pant, Shridhar Prasad An evaluation of econometric and mathematical programming models : useful for planning the agricultural sector in India. Thesis, 1970.
- Prasad, Amit. Cultures of techno science: A study of magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) research in the United States and India. Thesis (PhD), 2004.
Currently there have not been any dissertations or theses written on the Maldives at the University of Illinois.
- Gingrich, Chris Daniel – Trade deficits, foreign exchange reserves and the agricultural sector in developing countries: Nepal as a case study. Thesis (MS), 1987.
- Sijapati, Binod Bickram – Small farmer credit programs in Nepal. Thesis (MS), 1980.
- Tulachan, Pradeep Man – Demand and production of rice in Nepal: the past situation and future prospect. Thesis (MS), 1979.
- Warfield, Ronald Ralph – Land tenure and its role in the economic development of Nepal. Thesis (MS), 1967.
- Akhtar, Shahnaz – A study of daily time allocation by rural housewives in North West frontier province of Pakistan. Thesis (MS), 1993.
- Asrar, Mohammad – Perceptions and preferences on institutional decision making of the faculty of North-West Frontier Province Agricultural University, Pakistan. Thesis (PhD), 1990.
- Bashir, Muhammad – An evaluation of some management practices for improving wheat productivity in northern Pakistan. Thesis (PhD), 1993
- Bashir, Muhammad – Impact of farm mechanization on labor and crop production cost in Pakistan. Thesis (MS), 1990.
- Begum, Roshan – A Welfare analysis of price policy for raw cotton in Pakistan. Thesis (MS), 1993.
- Chawdhry, Muhammad Arshad – Effect of land tenure on resource use and productivity in agriculture: a case study of Punjab, Pakistan. Thesis (PhD), 1974.
- Chishti, Anwar Fazil – Demand for and supply of Pakistan Basmati rice. Thesis (MS), 1990.
- Hussain, Syed Sajidin – Analysis of economic efficiency in northern Pakistan: estimation, causes and policy implications. Thesis (PhD), 1989.
- Idris, Mohammad – Family influence on utilization of remittances: a case study of a village in the North West Frontier Province Pakistan. Thesis (PhD), 1991.
- Kahn, Asmatullah – Farmers’ resource status and information availability and utilization: a study within Northwest Frontier Province, Pakistan. Thesis (PhD), 1988.
- Maloney, Joel – Soviet ballistic missile defense and small nuclear force states [microform]: Chinese, Indian, and Pakistani security dilemmas in the age of strategic defense. Thesis (BA), 1985
- Misri, Deepti – Reading violence: Gender, violence, and representation in India and Pakistan (1947–present). Thesis (PhD), 2008
- Mushtaq, Mohammad – Rural credit markets and consumption smoothing : evidence from Pakistan. Thesis (PhD), 1999.
- Rasool, Saeeda – From private gardens to public parks : a study of transformation in landscape of Lahore, Pakistan from seventeenth century till present. Thesis (MLA), 1994.
- Tehseen, Waheeda Mant – Validation of the planarian bioassay with defined mixtures and testing against other bioassays with contaminated samples from Pakistan. Thesis (PhD), 1993.
Sri Lanka ↑
- Suraweera, Don Edward Franklyn – A programming analysis of production and resource use in small-holder agriculture in the dry zone of Sri Lanka. Thesis (PhD), 1982.
- Welikala, Nihal – Dynamics of potassium in some Illinois and Sri Lanka soils. Thesis, 1986.
General South Asian Topics ↑
- Aswathanarayana, Vani – After the demolition: constructing the communal riots of 1992-93 in the Media. Thesis (Ph D), 1999.
- Bajpai, Kanta Prasad – The origins of association in South Asia: SAARC 1979-1989.Thesis (PhD), 1990.
- Berns, Margie Sue – Functional approaches and communicative competence: English language teaching in non-native contexts. Thesis (PhD), 1985.
- Bhatia, Tej Krishan – A syntactic and semantic description of negation in South Asian languages. Thesis (PhD), 1978.
- Bhatt, Rakesh Mohan – Word order and case in Kashmiri. Thesis (PhD), 1994.
- Burns, Susan Marie – Potential arms management and limitations measures for South Asia. Thesis (MA), 1990.
- D’souza, Jean – South Asia as a sociolinguistic area. Thesis (PhD), 1987.
- Furtado. Christina S. – Inter-rebel group dynamics: cooperation or competition the case of South Asia. Thesis (PhD), 2007.
- Ganguly, Shivaji – The United States and South Asia: a study of policy and process. Thesis, 1977.
- Ganguly, Sumit Kumar – The origins of war in South Asia: 1947-1971.Thesis (PhD), 1984.
- Jones, Lynn Anne – Between Byzantium and Islam: royal iconography and the Church of the Holy Cross at Aghtamar. Thesis (PhD), 1995.
- Kahl, Chad M. – The improbability of progress on the non-proliferation of nuclear weapons in the Middle East and South Asia. [Microform].Thesis (BA), 1993.
- Khan, Hamid – Islamic law of intestate succession. Thesis (LLM), 1973.
- Khory, Kavita Rusi – Separatism in South Asia: the politics of ethnic conflict and regional security. Thesis (PhD), 1991.
- Valentine, Tamara Marie – Aspects of linguistic interaction and gender in South Asia. Thesis (PhD), 1986.