International & Area Studies Library
Center for Global Studies, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
311 Main Library
- JapanKnowledge+: Try this first! Access is available from computers with Illinois IP address. Use library’s proxy authentication for off-campus access. JapanKnowledge+ includes Japanese-Japanese dictionaries, classical Japanese dictionaries, multi-directional Japanese-English and other European/East Asian language dictionaries and encyclopedia. (Instructions)
Apps for iOS and Android
- Japanese app provides E-J / J-E dictionary, search function, flashcards, and vocabulary lists.
Multi-Dictionary Websites (Japanese, English-Japanese, Japanese-English, etc.)
- Jisho: a great online dictionary that allows for look-up in English, Romaji, Japanese. It also has radical lookup.
- Kotobank コトバン: Kotobank is a free service that searches across many dictionaries and encyclopedias, good for looking up definitions, basic biographical and historical information, literature, people, places, and events.
- Wikipedia ウィキペディア: The Japanese Wikipedia (ウィキペディア日本語版, Wikipedia Nihongo-ban, literally “Wikipedia: Japanese-language version” is the Japanese-language edition of Wikipedia, a free, open-content encyclopedia
- goo online dictionaries: Japanese/Japanese Thesaurus/E-J/J-E/C-J/J-C goo辞書: 国語・類語・英和・和英・中日・日中・他
- Rakuten Infoseek Multi-Dictionary: J-E/E-J/Japanese インフォシークマルチ辞書: 英和・和英辞典、国語辞典、他
- excite Dictionary: E-J/J-E/Japanese/C-J/J-C excite辞書(研究社 online dictionary): 英和・和英・国語・日中・中日
- Rikai 理解.com (Japanese to English, English to Japanese): Cut-and-paste and website translation with pop-up dictionary references.
- WWWJDIC: Online Japanese Dictionary Service