Welcome to the Fiction Section of the UGL
We select titles from a variety of sources and we especially welcome suggestions! We attempt to order the bestsellers and titles in genres such as science fiction, mystery, thrillers, romance and drama.
New Books on the Upper Level Y-Table Displays on the Lower Level
Fiction Binders with Selected Fiction Genres and Titles
- There are several helpful Fiction Genre binders located on the Lower Level of the UGL on the Y Table next to the Media Enclosure.
- Inside the binders you will find selections of book covers with the LC Call Number
- Categories in the Binders: We have 4 Main Categories of Fiction that we highlight at the UGL, here is an example of each that you will find in the Binders.
Thriller Historical Mystery Science Fiction/Fantasy
How to Search for Fiction
- In the Easy Search Engine on the UGL webpage you can either enter the authors' name or the book title and the results will be brought up in the Books, Media, and E-Books matches section. This will give you the number of matches in the UIUC & Illinois Libraries . Copy the call number and bring that to the UGL. or
- Use the Library catalog and type in author, title, or keyword(and change the drop down menu).
- Notice the right hand column after you do a search. It lets you limit your search to format(books);location(Undergraduate Library);Author,Topic(Fiction);Genre(Suspense Fiction)
- In the Library Catalog or easy search you can type in specific genres of fiction and you can also narrow this further using the categories on the right of the Results List.
- Remember, if you need help you can "Ask a Librarian" in person, on the phone or via chat: http://www.library.illinois.edu/askus/
Resources That Can Help You Select Fiction Books
How to Find and Locate Books
- How to find books in the catalog:http://www.library.illinois.edu/ugl/howdoi/find_books.html
- If you find a title in the library catalog that is listed at the Undergraduate Library, write down(or text yourself) the call number. The fiction books (unless on the new book shelves) will generally be located in the lower level, north side of the UGL starting at Range #58 and ending at Range #72