DRAFT #2 – 11-11-14
Policy on Use of Library Services and Spaces by Registered Student Organizations (RSOs)
With over 1,100 Registered Student Organizations on campus, many opportunities exist to partner with RSOs to further the University Library’s mission and goals. Units of the University Library are periodically approached by representatives of RSOs seeking various types of support for their activities. RSOs have typically asked to set up information tables, hang banners or posters, distribute surveys, set up donation boxes, put table tents on study tables, record videos, etc.
1) An desiring to use departmental library services or spaces should contact the appropriate library unit head at least one week prior to the date of proposed activity.
2) The should review the request promptly, keeping the following points in mind:
- If a requested activity does not fit the Library’s mission, it should not be approved.
- The activity must not disturb library users or hinder staff in completing their work.
- Collecting money (sales or donations) or soliciting petition signatures is not permitted.[SS1]
- The activity must not violate existing policies. Relevant existing policies include, but are not limited to:
Patron Conduct Policy
Policy on Filming and Photographing in Library Facilities
Policy on Use of Library Instructional Space
3) If the unit head recommends approving the activity, he or she should consult with Library administration before notifying the RSO.
- All requests for library collaboration with an RSO should be reviewed by both the and the .
- Any request to place a table, banner, or similar item in a library facility, even temporarily, must be approved by the , the , and the (see http://www.library.illinois.edu/administration/facilities/ for contact information). The Library may refuse such requests for reasons related to safety and/or aesthetics.
4) The is responsible for communicating the decision to the RSO.
Approved by the Administrative Council, [date]