The Scholarly Commons has 12 high-speed Windows desktops available to patrons in Room 220.
These desktops are equipped with advanced software to support your research needs. See below for a list of licensed and specialized software available on these computers.
For a detailed list of computer specs and all software installed on these computers, please see this webpage from Library IT. All library computers also come with assistive software for users with disabilities. A list of this software can be found on the Assistive Technology & Software page.
We also have specialized media editing software available in our Self-Use Media Studios.
If you would like to request that software be added to the Scholarly Commons computers, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- ArcGIS Pro (Online Documentation)
- Note: Patrons will need to get an ArcGIS Pro license free to UIUC affiliates from the UIUC webstore in order to use ArcGIS Pro in the Scholarly Commons. Patrons must then sign in to their netID when starting the software. Follow the instructions on this document from step 14 after you have obtained a license.
- ArcMap (Online Documentation)
- QGIS (Online Documentation)
- ABBYY FineReader (Guide)
- Adobe Creative Cloud, including Photoshop, Illustrator, and Premiere Pro (Online Documentation)
- Note: Patrons will need to get an Adobe Creative Cloud license free to UIUC affiliates from the UIUC webstore in order to use Adobe Creative Cloud programs in the Scholarly Commons. Students can obtain the license from this page, while faculty and staff can obtain the license from this page. Patrons must then sign in to their netID when starting the software.
- Oxygen XML Editor (Online Documentation)
If you need remote access to software, some of these applications are also available through UIUC AnyWare. UIUC AnyWare is a virtual desktop environment provided by Technology Services allowing students to access software whether remote, on campus, or in class. Students can access UIUC AnyWare on multiple devices and operating systems including Windows, MacOS, and Linux, iOS, and Android. Browse the UIUC AnyWare Software List for programs that can be accessed remotely. No remote access to the software you’re looking for? Submit a request for purchase to Technology Services.