The Self-Use Media Booths are unstaffed. You can find instructions on how to operate the studio via signage on the wall in the studio.
If you need to schedule an in-person orientation, please provide several days advance notice.
Having Issues or Want to Request New Features?
About the Self-Use Media Studios
Each of the 3 Scholarly Commons Self-Use Media Booths are a sound isolated, one-room booth designed for audio and video recording of up to two people at once. Additionally, the studios can be used to edit media, participate in remote telepresence sessions, or livestream.
Please bring removable media (flash drive or SSD with minimum of USB 3.0) to transfer files after your session or plan to upload to cloud storage.
If you need a flash drive, book one of ours from loanable technology.
Note: DO NOT RELY ON LONG-TERM STORAGE OF FILES ON THE STUDIO MACHINE – THE HARD DRIVE MAY BE WIPED AT ANY TIME.
- Mac Studio M1 Ultra
- Two (2) – Shure MV7 Large Diaphragm Dynamic Microphones
- Focusrite 2i2 Audio Interface
- Two (2) – JBL LSR305p MkII Studio Monitor Speakers
- Two (2) – Sennheiser HD280 Studio Headphones
- Insta360 Link 4K Webcam with motion-tracking
- Two (2) – Elgato Key Light Air
- Elgato Stream Deck
- Adobe CC 2022
- Adobe CC 2023
- Ableton Live 11.2.6 Suite
- Da Vinci Resolve Studio 18
- Final Cut Pro 10.6
- Insta360 Camera Control
- Logic Pro 10.7
- Stream Deck Config
Policies and Procedures
- Patrons must bring their I-Card and present it to Tech Desk staff in Rm 306 at the time of their confirmed reservation in order to check out the Self-Use Media Studio key.
- Patrons should bring a storage device (preferably USB 3 or higher) to save the data once the audio recording is completed (or check out an external drive from the Loanable Technology desk). DO NOT RELY ON LONG-TERM STORAGE OF FILES ON THE STUDIO MACHINE – THE HARD DRIVE MAY BE WIPED AT ANY TIME.
- Patrons should exercise respect and care in the use of the equipment.
- University High School students are welcome to use our studios with the supervision of an i-card-holding adult or with pre-approval from Scholarly Commons staff. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org at least a couple days in advance to coordinate approval.
- Unclaimed reservations may be cancelled 30 minutes after the start time.
- NO FOOD OR DRINKS WILL BE ALLOWED. Exception: Closed Water Bottles
Note: The library is not responsible for any damage that may occur on equipment as a result of media borrowed from the library or used internally.
Talent Release Forms
Per the University of Illinois Public Affairs website, “If you are planning to use an individual’s image or likeness in media such as photographs, video, etc., you should request written permission to do so. Releases should also be completed and signed by any talent working with companies or individuals shooting photography, video or audiotape on University premises. Use the forms below accordingly.”For more information and direct links to Talent Release Forms