Resources for developing information literacy programs and products.
- ACRL Information Literacy Resources from ACRL’s Information Literacy Coordinating Committee.
- ICT Digital Literacy A portal to information about ICT (information and communication technology) literacy and digital literacy worldwide.
- Information Literacy Weblog Blog that highlight articles, news, and other resources for information literacy and library instruction.
- Library Instruction Round Table Part of the American Library Association. “LIRT membership represents all types of libraries (academic, public, school, and special)…” Offers information on adult learning, teaching tips, recommended readings, and more.
- LOEX Clearinghouse for Library Instruction Links to exemplary instructional resources including tutorials, web-based tours, curricula on evaluating information sources, and tips on teaching.
- National Forum on Information Literacy A non-profit organization dedicated to promoting information literacy. See the “Information Resources” section for links to other relevant websites.
- S.O.S. for Information Literacy A “web-based multimedia resource that includes peer-reviewed lesson plans, handouts, presentations, videos and other resources to enhance the teaching of information literacy (K-16).” From the Center for Digital Literacy at Syracuse University
- The Information Literacy Land of Confusion Blog that highlight articles, news, and other resources for information literacy and library instruction.
Tools for readers’ advisory.
“Services provided by an experienced public services librarian who specializes in the reading needs of the patrons of a public library. A readers’ advisor recommends specific titles and/or authors, based on knowledge of the patron’s past reading preferences, and may also compile lists of recommended titles and serve as liaison to other education agencies in the community.” – From the ODLIS: Online Dictionary of Library and Information Science
- “Genreflecting” series Books in a series of reader’s advisory guides from Libraries Unlimited.
- Fiction Connection[licensed for UofI] By Bowker’s Books in Print. Search for specific books or explore by genre, character, setting, etc.
- NoveList Plus[licensed for UofI] A database of book reviews with subject heading access. Also includes author read-alikes, book discussion guides, lists of award winners, and a reader’s advisory tool box.
- RA for All A blog for public librarians.
- Readers Advisory Link Farm A large collection of general and genre-specific links to websites from publishers, reviewers, and readers.
- Readers’ Advisory Service in the Public Library By Joyce G. Saricks. 3rd ed., 2005. E-book via NetLibrary.
Tools for reference librarians.
- Best Free Reference Websites (licensed for UI) 14th annual list, selected by librarians and published in Reference & User Services Quarterly, v.52, no. 1, Fall 2012.
- Encyclopedia.com An online collection of encyclopedias, including sources from Oxford University Press and Columbia Encyclopedia.
- Infoplease: Encyclopedia, Almanac, Atlas, Biographies, Dictionary, Thesaurus A free source for all sorts of factual look-ups.
- RUSABlog Keep up with the doings of ALA’s Reference and User Services Association
- Wolfram|Alpha: Computational Knowledge Engine A new approach to answering questions – more than a standard search engine.