November 17, 2014 Meeting of Administrative Council

Time and Location of Meeting

November 17, 20141:30 pm - 3:00 pm 428 Library

Agenda Details


  1. Review revised Registered Student Organization policy: Sue Searing
  2. Update on review of the patron privacy policy: Lynn Rudasill
  3. Update on review of student wage allocation: Greg Knott/Sue Searing
  4. Update on AP/LOA review: Tom Teper/Cindy Kelly
  5. Library food policy: Susan Avery/Sue Searing
  6. Strategic Planning/Retreat: John Wilkin
  7. Clarification of the roles of AC/EC/Cabinet/Budget Group: Susan Avery (CPS question)
  8. New Business

Minutes Details


John Wilkin, chair; Melody Allison, Susan Avery, Paula Carns (for Chris Quinn), Joanne Kaczmarek, Cindy Kelly, Greg Knott, Beth Namachchivaya, Lynne Rudasill, Mary Schlembach, John Schrader, Sue Searing, Tom Teper, Lynn Wiley (for Mary Laskowski), Sandy Wolf; Recording: Kim Matherly


1.       Review revised Registered Student Organization policy: Sue Searing

Sue will add a statement about wired access not being available in the building for non-Library employees. Sue wants to make sure there are no other space policies that this information should be added to.

It was suggested that the statement in 2d. be re-written in a more positive manner. AC would also like a form to be developed so that all the needed information is requested prior to the proposed activity.

The policy was voted on and approved. Sue will get the policy up on the web as soon as possible.

2.       Update on review of the patron privacy policy: Lynne Rudasill<

AC was asked to share the policy in their divisions and send Lynne any comments. The policy will come back to AC at a future meeting. Once AC is happy with the policy, it will be shared with EC.

3.       Update on review of student wage allocation: Greg Knott/Sue Searing

The working group is just getting started. Sue and Greg co-chair it; other members are Cindy Kelly, Mary Schlembach, and Jessica LeCrone.  Mary is working on a survey to send out to supervisors to get additional data.

5.       Update on AP/LOA review: Tom Teper/Cindy Kelly

There have been a lot of questions around this process, the best way to review APs and LOAs and how that process feeds into the salary increases.

It was pointed out that now that LOAs are covered by a union, they no longer fall under the same review process as APs.

John would like one form made available to supervisors of APs and a process posted describing the instructions for using the form and the review process. Once that has been established, this should be shared with AC and should be used next year.

6.       Library food policy: Susan Avery/Sue Searing

Grainger currently allows food in one designated area. UGL would also like to be able to do this. To be able to make this change, the Library must make the request through the student senate, because it violates the student code.

There was discussion about how best to designate an area in Undergrad and what the costs would be for keeping the area clean, and the additional wear to the carpet and upholstery when there are food spills, etc.

The policy change was approved. Sue will send it forward to be changed in the student conduct code.

7.       Strategic Planning/Retreat: John Wilkin

John would like the retreat to be centered on the Strategic Plan (SP) process. Lisa Hinchliffe will play a coordinating role for the SP process. A group of individuals will be asked to serve with Lisa. John expects that the process will take a year and he will give regular updates at the AC meetings.

8.       Clarification of the roles of AC/EC/Cabinet/Budget Group: Susan Avery (CPS question)

The Budget Group includes all the AULs, a representative from EC, a representative from AC, the Assistant Deans and the head of Library HR. The Budget Group deals with GA allocations, Civil Service position requests and the student budget. Much of what they do is done over email.

The Cabinet was formed by John to help get the work of the Library done. The Cabinet includes the AULs, the Asst. Dean of the Business Office, the Asst. Dean of Facilities and the Asst. Dean of Advancement. .

AC is made up of representatives from the divisions and deals mainly with policies. The charge can be found on the Library Committee page and there is a section in the Bylaws. AC is responsible for policies in the Library and they also represent each of the Divisions.

Executive Committee is advisory to the Dean. EC’s charge is on committee website and there is more information in the bylaws.

New Business

Lynne Rudasill – sent a spreadsheet to Bill Mischo to update the referral data base. If anyone has any changes, please contact Lynne.

Susan Avery – Liaisons to Divisions – some members of one Division, contact and attend meetings for other divisions. Susan is happy for anyone from another division to attend a Central Public Services Division meeting. Other Division Coordinators feel the same.

Beth Namachchivaya – IT has been putting copyright notices on printers and scanners – the same language used in UGL.

Beth Namachchivaya– Jim Dohle would like to attend Division meetings to get feedback about IT services. He has had some problems getting Divisions to schedule a meeting with him or let him attend a current meeting. Beth realizes that Division meetings can have full agendas, but asks Divisions to meet with Jim, when he calls.

John Wilkin – would like an AC discussion about the roles and functions of divisions, if any of the members think it would be useful.

Susan Avery – let her know when she sends out the next call for agenda items, if you are interested in discussing roles and functions of divisions.