February 11, 2019 Meeting of Executive Committee

Time and Location of Meeting

February 11, 2019

Agenda Details


Agenda not yet available.

Minutes Details




February 11, 2019


428 Library


John Wilkin, chair; David Ward, vice-chair; Mary Laskowski, secretary; Paula Carns, William Maher, Bill Mischo, Lynne Rudasill; Visitors – Heidi Imker, Chris Prom, Tom Teper, Cherié Weible; Recording – Kim Matherly



  1. 2-2:30 – AULs
    1. Revisit oversight and continuity for tasks distributed after the departure of Beth Sandore Namachchivaya.

Lynne Rudasill suggested that the Research and Publication Committee (RPC) would like Heidi’s office to take on the Library Research Showcase instead of RPC sponsoring it. EC and the AULs discussed the showcase being a smaller event, who attended—people from the Library, others outside the Library— and if the showcase could be held jointly with another unit, like iSchool. Lynne and Heidi will discuss ways to support RPC and bring the discussion back to EC, if needed.


  1. Searches – a search committee checklist, and suggested ranking matrix, and a search committee expectations document – Chris

Chris brought documents to EC that he, Jake MacGregor and Paula Carns have been working on. He asked EC to send him feedback on the documents.


  1. Standing reports as usual
    1. Library Building Project – Tom

The next quarterly Library Building Project update is March 13 at 4:00pm in 66 Library. Internal conversations are progressing well. There have been several salons for library employees and there are at least two salons scheduled for graduate students. There will be salons scheduled for undergraduate students, in the future. The Library Catalyst Working Groups (WG) are meeting regularly and moving in productive directions in conversation. The Programming Working Group is brainstorming on themes and topical areas and looking at the needs of the different constituents. The Special Collections consultant report came in. Tom will be developing a working group to discuss the Special Collections project.


Thursday is the first grad student salon.


  1. First floor service point project and/or 200, reading room renovations – Cherié

Both projects are moving along. Cherié does not think they will be done by the fall semester, but hopefully soon after.


  • 220, charge for “220 Exploratory Use Team” – replacing the “220 Implementation” committee – Heidi

Heidi has drafted a charge and suggested membership. EC will look at the draft at the next meeting.


  1. Approve minutes – February 4

Minutes were approved with a motion from Lynne Rudasill, seconded by Nancy O’Brien.


  1. Question Time

Innovation Fund – Two applications were awarded at the last round. EC suggested that the PIs be invited to give an update/lightening talk at the May Faculty meeting. David will give a general update for Innovation Fund applications at the meeting.


John met with the Senate Committee on the Library (SCL). It is making membership recommendations to the Provost for the Campus Library Building Project Committee. John also gave the SCL a budget update. Once the document has its final edits, John will share it with EC and have discussion at the next EC meeting on February 25.


Public scanners were discussed. The software does not allow for Adobe. Tracy Tolliver is investigating new software and multi-page scanners.


  1. Chair, Strategic Planning Team

EC suggested names.


  1. Paper Preparers

Names were suggested.


  1. John discussed the budget