April 12, 2021 Meeting of Executive Committee

Time and Location of Meeting

April 12, 20211:30 pm - 3:00 pm Zoom Meeting

Agenda Details




April 12, 2021


Zoom Meeting


  1. Approve minutes – April 6, 2021
  2. Question Time
  3. Inclusion in Administration and Governance
  4. Questions for LSSC/LCAP Representatives
  5. 2-2:30 AUL’s/Director
  6. 2:30-2:45 Tracy Tolliver
  7. DEIA Statement Draft
  8. Mortensen Center Committee Members






Minutes Details




April 12, 2021

1:30-2:30 pm

Zoom Conference Call


Attendees: John Wilkin (Chair); Bill Maher (Vice-Chair); Jennifer Teper, Mara Thacker, David Ward, Peg Burnette, Dan Tracy, Mary Laskowski, and Kelli Trei. Lucretia Williams; Recording


AULs/Director present: Tom Teper, Chris Prom, Sara Holder. Tracy Tolliver attended to give IT updates.


Meeting Document: Library IT Update to EC (PowerPoint)


  1. Minutes of the April 5, 2021 EC Minutes were approved with changes upon the motion by Peg Burnette and seconded by Kelli Trei.


  1. Question time – Dean Wilkin updated EC:
  • Dean Wilkin’s meeting with the Provost, which had been cancelled, was rescheduled for April 9.
  • It was reported at the Council of Deans meeting that 80% of all the sections scheduled for the fall with fewer than 200 students are scheduled to be face to face.
  • In the Council of Deans meeting there is a lot of discussion about possibilities for certificate courses and “stackable credential” courses that involve individuals enrolled as students at Illinois. The Dean emphasized to the group and separately with the Provost that it is important to remember when designing options that these external students won’t have access to many university resources, including library materials that may be necessary for their courses, if they are not enrolled.
  • The Dean discussed planning for fall and the next steps for Undergraduate Library integration work in the wake of the Senate resolution with the Provost. The Provost is supportive of our directions for fall.
  • The Chancellor suggested that the state’s budget allocation to the university likely will be flat, which is encouraging. Tuition looks robust, too, so our two primary sources of revenue look strong.


  1. Inclusion in Administration and Governance – EC reviewed the draft of alternate options for Inclusion in Administration and Governance and suggested some language changes in some of the sections of the document for clarity. This document will be discussed at EC with LCAP and LSSC on Monday, April 26, 2021.



  1. Questions/Topics for LCAP and LSSC for next EC meeting – EC would like to discuss the following topics with LCAP and LSSC:
  • Continued discussion on inclusion in administration and governance.
  • Any updates or agenda items they have for us.
  • Dan Tracy will contact LSSC and LCAP Chairs on the topics for discussion at the next EC LSSC/LCAP meeting on Monday, April 26, 2021.



  1. AULs/Director updates –
  • Chris Prom, Phase 5 Planning:
  • Meetings with Unit Heads continue; we are working to reassure people and help them develop services. While there are many questions until campus articulates fall plans and processes (for example regarding WSA and vaccines), we are planning to gradually reopen services and spaces.
  • It is likely we will turn the service off at end of semester, but we need to assess reserves impact.  We do plan to continue emergency digitization service.
  • Locker system will continue over the summer, potentially with the addition of some more pickup locations.
  • Wellness Support Associates:
    • In planning for library services for the fall we are operating under the assumption that library spaces will be safe for users and staff, under the umbrella of the SHIELD program.
    • This means that in fall we will either continue to have WSA support to ensure negative tests and/or vaccination, or that if we do not have WSA support it will be because we have reached a point in the pandemic where that level of control is no longer necessary.
    • Therefore, we are working with the expectation that public service units will be open for study space and circulation, with levels and hours to be determined
    • Peg Burnette has been asked to put together a LibGuide on the COVID vaccines that can be shared with library users and staff.
    • In response to a question, Chris noted that Room 66 will be used as classroom space in the fall. They do not yet know how access to that room will be managed and possibly separated from the rest of the library.
    • Mary Laskowski added that we are planning to continue digitization on demand for patrons who need it, even after the end of ETAS. For reserves, there will be a transition period, and there are some discussions with Grainger and the UGL about the possibility of print reserves at those locations over the summer. We do not know the exact implementation of the digitization on demand in Primo yet.
    • Mary also noted there may be some limited additional locations over the summer. We don’t yet know when we will be able to send items through campus mail again. Finally, the resumption of normal iShare operations will depend on each institution.


  • Tom Teper – Building Updates
  • CAPT has approved a recommendation from ERWG that we can add our new Electronic Resources Management Librarian, Amy Fry, to its membership.
  • Library Building Project: According to the Illinois procurement bulletin board, the architect/engineer selection is still listed as published. Once the status is updated (which we expect shortly), we will have a general update for the Library, an updated website, and an updated news item. All of those are ready to go at this point.
  • We remain on the same timeline as originally planned.
  • David Ward and Sara Holder, UGL Integration Updates-
  • There was a public feedback meeting last Thursday, April 8, 2021 and there will be a second meeting on Thursday, May 6, 2021 at 10:30 am – Noon.
  • Final drafts of all the sub team reports are going to be due at the end of this month. These will be available for the May 6 feedback meeting, and then the steering committee’s work is due at the end of May, and will be turned in for EC to review. It is likely there will be some discussion of public allocation of Room 146 and Room 346 once they are vacated. Otherwise, there will be recommendations for implementation teams that come out of the various subgroups.


  1. Tracy Tolliver – Tracy Tolliver and Chris Prom gave EC updates on IT, including staffing (e.g., classification issues), and challenges IT is facing. Tracy Tolliver also noted key upcoming campus IT changes, including a move from OTRS to Team Dynamics, the move from Blackboard to Canvas, and longer term plans to migrate from Skype for Business to Teams.


  1. DEIA Statement Draft – EC discussed some attention to language in the DEIA Statement Draft. EC will report their recommendations back to the DEIA Task Force for preparation of a second draft.


  1. Mortensen Center Committee Members – EC will revisit these member recommendations at a later date for the August 2021 terms. Lucretia Williams will inform the Chair of the Mortensen Center Committee of EC’s decision.


Meeting adjourned at 3:00 pm

Related Documents