The primary purpose of the Library’s loanable technology program is to provide short term access to technology items for class projects and needs. Because of this, a limited number of items are available for checkout.
- Exceptions may be made at the discretion of Library administration.
- It is not possible to check out more than one item type (such as only one camera or camcorder—regardless of brand) due to high demand for these items. However, it is appropriate to check out different types of equipment (e.g., tripod, mic, camera, SD card, etc.).
- Borrowers must have their own active iCard at time of checkout.
- Items that circulate for 2 hours must remain in the library.
- Items that circulate for 1 week are permitted to leave the library.
- The Library is not responsible for any damage that may occur on borrower’s equipment as a result of equipment borrowed from the Library.
Loanable Technology that can be used out of the library can be reserved in advance. The Library reserves the right to limit the number of times a patron can request an item (or similar item) during the semester in order to accommodate class projects.
Typically the Library requires 72 hours after the return of an item before the borrower can check out the same or a similar item. Exceptions may be made at the discretion of Library administration.
How to reserve equipment:
- To reserve an item in advance, contact the Undergraduate Library Circulation and Reserves Desk in person or by phone (333-3477).
- Reservation requests will not be accepted via voicemail, email, or means other than the ones described above.
- Borrowers will be required to provide their valid iCard (if in person) or Library ID (if over the phone).
- Reservations are not guaranteed, since it is contingent on the previous patron returning the item on time.
- Items that circulate for 1 week may be reserved in advance.
- Items that circulate for 2 hours may not be reserved in advance.
- If the reserved item(s) are not picked up on the first day of the reservation, the reservation will be canceled.
- The Library reserves the right to limit the number of reservations a patron can make on an item (or similar item) in order to provide access to multiple students.
- If Library staff notice that any patron has reserved an item (or similar item) consecutively, they may notify the patron that the request will not be honored in the interest of providing the equipment to other patrons.
Most loanable technology items can be renewed once if there are no other reservations for that item. The Library reserves the right to deny renewal of items in order to best accommodate needs of others who may need the item.
The Library is only able to provide a limited number of loanable technology items and the intent is to provide short term access to these items for class projects and needs.
- Renewal requests may be made in person or over the phone at the UGL Circulation and Reserves Desk (333-3477).
- A borrower will be asked to provide his or her valid iCard (if in person) or Library ID (if over the phone).
- Renewal requests will not be accepted by voicemail, email, or other means in order to provide the most up-to-date information about the status of the equipment.
- If the item is overdue when the item is renewed, the borrower’s account will be charged $5/day in overdue fines, including partial days.
2-Hour In-Library-Use Only
These are items such as laptop and phone chargers, laptops, calculators, USB drives, adapters, headphones, etc., which can be used in the library.
- These items are available at Loanable Technology Desk on a first-come, first-served basis.
- The borrower must present his/her own valid iCard for checkout.
- These items must remain in library during use.
- An item may be renewed as long as no one is waiting to use it.
- Overdue fines of $5/hour begin accruing immediately after the due time.
1-Week Out-of-Library-Use Permitted
These are items such as cameras, tripods, SD cards, calculators, voice recorders, iPads, handheld gaming devices, projectors, microphones, etc., which can be checked out for use outside of the library.
- These items are available at the Loanable Technology Desk on a first-come, first-served basis, but may also be booked in advance
- The borrower must present own valid iCard for checkout.
- These items may be taken out of the library for use.
- The borrower must sign Equipment Loan Agreement Form upon checkout (allow 5-10 minutes).
- These items are eligible for 1 renewal as long as it has not been advanced booked by another patron.
- The borrower must sign the return portion of the Equipment Loan Agreement Form upon return (allow 5-10 minutes).
- The equipment must be returned to the Undergraduate Library Loanable Technology Desk. Do not put in the book drop.
- The equipment will not be checked in until all pieces are returned.
- Overdue fines of $5/day begin accruing immediately after the due time.
Loanable Laptop Checkout
There are 19 HP Chromebooks available for 2-hour loan at the Undergraduate Library. Use your Gmail/Google ID for login and have access to your personal information, including gmail, docs, drive, and sheets, just to name a few. When you return the Chromebook, we’ll wipe all your data so no one else has access to your personal information.
Loanable Technology Book
If you are interested in the setup, polices and procedures of a Library Loanable Technology program, members of the faculty and staff of the University of Illinois Undergraduate Libary and Media Commons have published a book on the subject. The book titled, "Going Beyond Loaning Books to Loaning Technologies: A Practical Guide for Librarians" is part of the Practical Guides for Librarians series and is available for purchase on Amazon.com here. The book was co-authored by Janelle Sander, Lori S. Mestre, and Eric Kurt, and discusses how to establish a Loanable Technology program including the needed policies and procedures as well as the types of technology that may be effective for your program.