October 9, 2014 Meeting of Library Staff Support Committee

Time and Location of Meeting

October 9, 2014

Agenda Details


Agenda not yet available.

Minutes Details


Skye Arseneau (Administrative Services), Becky Burner (Physical Sciences & Engineering), Julie Bumpus (Technical Services), Jim Cotter (Special Collections), Lisa Renee Kemplin (Area Studies), Kyle McCafferty (Central Access Services), Debora Pfeiffer (Technical Services), Dani Postula (Central Access Services), Laura Poulosky (Residence Hall Libraries), Shoshana Vegh-Gaynor (Arts & Humanities), Sandy Wolf (Social Sciences)


Library Staff Support Committee nearly complete!

We only have one empty position on LSSC.  Since Barb Trumpinski retired recently, we need someone new to serve as the Life Sciences liaison.  Jim will talk with staff in Life Sciences to look for an interested volunteer.

Future reporting from Faculty Meetings:

Sandy Wolf and Kyle McCafferty have volunteered to attend Faculty Meetings and report back to LSSC about matters of importance to staff.

Library Service Recognition Program:

The annual University Library Service Recognition program for Library staff will be held on Wed., Oct. 29th, from 8:30 to 10:00 a.m. in the ARC (Activities & Recreation Center, 201 E. Peabody Dr., Champaign).  Breakfast will be provided and employees who have reached significant milestones in their service will be recognized.  LSSC plans to put together a hand-out about the committee’s work to distribute at the program.

LSSC website update:

Sandy will be working on revising the LSSC web pages.  She will also work with Julie to show her how to maintain our web pages in the future.

Ethics training:

If you haven’t already completed the annual online ethics training course, please be sure to do so soon!  Library staff and graduate employees need to have this training completed by Oct. 31st.  Student Library workers will soon receive a link to the training and will need to have it completed before they leave campus for winter break, ideally by Dec. 15th.

Search for Associate University Librarian for Library IT:

Sandy has been included in meeting with the four candidates during their on-campus interviews.  She has been focusing on staff concerns during these interviews.

Upcoming ClimateQUAL Survey:

Jim is on the committee organizing the upcoming ClimateQUAL Library morale survey.  Members of the committee will be visiting Library groups to get their input, prior to launching the survey in the spring 2015 semester.  The survey will take 50 minutes to complete and must be completed in one session. Room 314 of the Main Library will have computers set up as a place for staff to take the survey without interruptions.  Completing the survey will count as work time.

Potential guests to LSSC meetings:

We will invite Cindy Ingold, chair of the ClimateQUAL survey committee, Associate Librarian Sue Searing, and University Librarian John Wilkin to visit upcoming LSSC meetings to discuss issues of importance to staff.

Future LSSC field trips:

We would like to visit SSHEL (the Social Sciences, Health, and Education Library) and the International & Area Studies Library during upcoming meetings.

Division reports:

Social Sciences:  It was reported at this division’s meeting that the Library passport program will not be held this year.  The Library pedometer challenge is scheduled to take place again this spring.

Special Collections:  David Ward visited the Special Collections meeting to discuss the upcoming user services survey, which will have both online and print formats available.  The division also discussed usage fee policies, such as the digitization fees charged to U of I affiliates and to patrons not affiliated with the University.

Arts & Humanities:  The Division’s meeting included reports from Administrative Council and Collection Development Committee attendees.  There was no more news about the History, Philosophy, and Newspaper Librarian search.  The candidate interviews for the new head of the Architecture & Art Library are coming up soon.  A total of about 20 faculty and Academic Professional positions are also in the works.

Administrative Services:  Skye reported that there is a Library Operations Associate (LOA) position in the ACES Library to be filled.  The Music & Performing Arts Library has received approval for a new LOA position, and a master referral list for the position should be sent soon.  There are three open Library Specialist positions in Central Access Services (two in circulation and one in discharge).  There is also an open position in Central Access Management for a Library Specialist to do cataloging with an emphasis in cartographic materials.

Area Studies Division:  Lisa Renee reported that the focus of the Area Studies Division meeting was sabbatical policy and upcoming faculty sabbaticals.  There was also discussion of the referral database.
Residence Hall Libraries:  Laura reported that the Residence Hall Libraries are holding an Open House for Housing and University Library staff at the newly renovated Pennsylvania Avenue Residence Hall (PAR) Library on Thursday, Oct. 16th, from 3-6 p.m.  Please stop by to see this beautiful library, and bring your iCard to check out books, DVDs, CDs, and magazines!  The October edition of the Residence Hall Library newsletter has just been published and will be posted in the Residence Halls.

Next LSSC Meeting:

Our next meeting will be held on Thursday, Nov. 13th, at 9 a.m. in the Main Library Room 225B.  We plan to look at the revisions to the LSSC website at this meeting.