October 17, 2016 Meeting of Administrative Council

Time and Location of Meeting

October 17, 20161:30 pm - 3:00 pm

Agenda Details


  • AC representative to Library Budget Group
  • AC Agenda Committee
  • Photoreproduction Working Group draft charge (Jacoby) note: document emailed to AC on 10/13
  • Student Code- update to Library section (Jacoby)

Minutes Details


Present: John Wilkin, chair; Susan Avery, Tom Habing, JoAnn Jacoby, Shuyong Jiang, Greg Knott, Mary Laskowski, Kyle McCafferty, Chris Quinn, Lisa Romero, Mary Schlembach, Jeff Schrader, Ellen Swain (for Joanne Kaczmarek), Tom Teper, Sarah Williams


1.       AC representative to Library Budget Group

Mary Laskowski was nominated for a two-year term.

2.       AC Agenda Committee

Lisa Romero was nominated.

3.      Photoreproduction Working Group draft charge (Jacoby)

(See document on AC website)

Campus vending is no longer in the photocopier business. We asked them to leave some of the existing machines in the highest use locations. This WG will look at what our strategy will be going forward as there is no plan to replace the current machines when they fail. The WG will include Candice Woodrum from Business and Human Resources Service Center (BHRSC). She will be involved in getting quotes and/or cost recovery. Wendy Wolter from facilities will be on the WG, Jason Strutz from IT and Celestina Savonius-Wroth will be the public service representative. JoAnn will serve as the AUL liaison.

4.       Student Code- update to Library section (Jacoby)

The Student Code governs expectations and standards of conduct at the University. There is a section included regarding Library regulations. Beth Sheehan and Sara Benson serve on the campus committee to review the codes. The Library section is out-of-date. JoAnn and Tom are working with others to update the Library section and will send out a new version to AC for comments.

5.       Other business

John stated that he talked about the budget hiring plan process at the last faculty meeting, but wanted to bring it up again for those who did not attend. The Provost is taking a different approach to the budget process. Usually we get instructions at the end of the calendar year, from the Provost, regarding how we are to submit budget information and the hiring plan. Now we will be submitting more of a planning document that reflects how budgetary planning is taking place in the colleges. We don’t know what parameters will be given this year, except that the campus is looking for strategic planning.

The hiring plan was a vehicle for a unit to get faculty and AP positions approved. We will no longer be getting positions approved through the hiring plan. We will be approving positons in a periodic way as we look at resources and openings and what we need to execute the work in the Library.

The Provost is not asking us to plan for budget reductions. He believes we have planned well around what is most likely to come from Springfield.

John asked if the members of AC think we are doing what we are expected to do and if anyone things we are omitting anything.

Greg informed the group that there will be a call going out soon asking for summer 17 and fall 18 GA requests. They want to do them at the same time, so they don’t have to go through the process twice. BHRSC will be updating the online mechanism. We are trying to get a handle on the GA hiring as the iSchool market gets more competitive we don’t want to lose good candidates.

 JoAnn informed the group that VetMed is changing to an embedded model. It will have a self-check system called MeeScan. This will be a less costly investment in terms of equipment. Individuals will be able to check out items using their IPAD or smart phone or at a dedicated station. A group is currently looking at a pilot for VetMed and Erin Kerby will report out regarding how the system is working for the Library and the patrons.