November 18, 2021 Meeting of Library Staff Support Committee

Time and Location of Meeting

November 18, 2021

Agenda Details


LSSC Meeting Agenda 11-17-21  

  1. Approve October Minutes  
  2. Liaison & Committee Reports  
  3. Conference CSE announcements  
  4. Other questions/topics 
  5. E.C. meeting (next Monday 11-22-21) 
    1. EC Monday, 2pm 
      1. Shared topics for EC:  
      2. LCAP new chair, Susan Braxton 
      3. For next time: Questions? Agenda topics? 
      4. committee member update & updated Bylaws 
  6. Call for volunteers for space planning group work, volunteer via Divisional chairs  
  7. Campus Charitable Fund Drive (CCFD)  
  8. Special Collections Building update 
  9. Remote work policy updates 
  10. COVID-19 updates 
  11. Other Updates / Comments 

Minutes Details


Attendees for November 18 2021 zoom meeting

Jan Adamczyk (Area Studies)
Kristen Blankenship (CPS)
Bernadette Braun (Physical Sciences)
Erik Chapman (Life Sciences) (not present)
Julia Cross (Residential Hall Libraries)
Karen Huck (Arts & Humanities)
Kim Hutcherson (Administration)
Tony Hynes (Special Collections)
Rachael Johns (Technical Services)
Michelle Self-Ballard (Central Public Services)
Jessica Sommers (Law)
Dulcie Vermillion (Social Sciences)
Tesfaye Wolde-Medhin (Technical Services) (not present)


Minutes for November 18, 2021 meeting

Approve October Minutes:  Approved


Liaison Reports and Updates:

Administration:   Nothing to report

Administrative Council:  did not meet

Area Studies:  Guest:  David Ward talked about the 3-year task force assessment of student focused spaces team (UGL space working group) discussing space needs.  The charge was developed over the summer with EC.  The Focus is to interact with students to ensure spaces are welcoming, inclusive and that the library understands usage of spaces. Year 1 – impact of closure of UGL, focusing on ongoing needs; recruiting volunteers one representative from each division to join team plus ex-officio members.  Kit Condill receiving recommendations for permanent 3.5% cut of collections spending by November 30th

Arts & Humanities:  Guest:  David Ward also talked about the task force.  The 3.5% cut of collections were also discussed.  LLL received the lamps with usb and additional outlet for all their tables.

Central Public Services:  Guest:  David Ward also talked about the task force.  The 3.5% cut of collections were also discussed.

Central Access Service: nothing to report, same as last month.

UGL:  Also discussed the 3.5% cuts, as well as the UGL staffing.  UGL still open Spring semester with similar hours.

Law:  Nothing to Report.

Life Sciences:  No Report.

Physical Sciences:  Also discussed the 3.5% cuts and decided to cancel prints that they get digitally.

Math & Grainger:   Nothing to report

Res Hall:  Collaborating with Shelby Strommer on a book making activity at Ikenberry meeting space.  On Dec 2nd collaborating with Paula Carns to do some events with LLL.  Direct supervisor asking for Res Hall Library budget, will ask for more student coverage funds.  Dean Wilkin asked the head of Res Life to get average number of patrons.  Closed for fall and winter break (by appointment from Jan to end of winter break).

Social Studies:  Guest:  David Ward also talked about the task force.  The 3.5% cut of collections were also discussed. Lisa Romero will send a list of volunteers for SSD.   SSHEL is working with CMS to transfer to oak street and stacks. SSHEL north side is getting UGL printing/study space.

Special Collections:  Guest:  David Ward also talked about the task force.  The teaching and learning task force is being put together, more to come later.  New building project updates  – nothing to report yet.  Drawings to be reviewed and submit to campus next month.  Town Hall meeting this afternoon.

Technical Services:  Guest:  David Ward also talked about the task force.  Asking for volunteers before holiday break.  Oak street will probably represent Technical Services Division.  Michael normal discussed updates in alma and primo.  The 3.5% cut of collections were also discussed.

Other News:  Conference CSE announcements  – Kristen Blankenship will help.  L-CAP Susan Braxton is the new chair. 2021 Campus Charity Fund Drive’s last day was yesterday, November 17.  Remote work policy update email from Susan Breakenridge.  Comfort K9’s therapy dogs are available on patrol shifts and during outreach events as a way for community members to engage in positive interactions with police officers or simply take a moment to relieve some anxiety, whether it is related to a critical incident or just everyday stress. They are also available to visit campus and community groups by request.

Upcoming December Event:  LSSC Drop in Hours

What: Drop-in hour (and dog destressing time!)

Who: Library Staff Support Committee (LSSC)

Where: Room 106, Main Library

OR virtually via Zoom

When: Thursday, December 9th, 2-3:30pm

Why: Connecting, communicating concerns & comforting canine company



Next LSSC Zoom Meeting: December 17, 2021