Time and Location of Meeting
May 16, 2013
Agenda not yet available.
IASL Faculty-Staff Meeting Minutes May 16, 2013
In Attendance: Lenkart, Rudasill, Thacker, Miller, Kagan, Jiang, Carns, Condill, Svoboda, Hussein, Pfeiffer
- Laila provided a tour for librarians from Washington University in St. Louis. She encouraged them to attend the upcoming webinar on E-research. She promised to send the IASL faculty-staff an email containing the details of this webinar.
- The IASL Slavic Reference Service is presenting a webinar for ASEEES
(Association for Slavic, East European, and Eurasian Studies) on May 29 at 2pm
This is for members only.
- Reference and User Services–Mara
- GAs for 2013-2014 are
- Ashley Sheriff
- Quetzalli Barrientos
- Sveta Stotycheva
- Orientation: All GAs will participate in required GA orientation from August 16-22.
- IASL Orientation will take place on August 23.
- Our training will cover supervisory training, a hands-on desk tutorial, user services
IASL wiki and web page, and a skills inventory of the new GA crew.
IASL Training Session will end with a barbecue at the Illini Grove.
- During the semester, each faculty member will hold an instructional session with the GAs.
- At this time, Mara is requesting that each faculty member submit a list of sample reference questions to her so that she can give the GAs an idea of what kinds of questions might be asked.
- Mara also asks that faculty members send her a list of probable projects for the GAs for the academic year before the orientation date of August 23.
Website review and user study
- We finally received funding for the redevelopment of the IASL homepage, so Lynne is looking for volunteers who will take an online tutorial-Human Subjects Training
- Lynne shared powerpoint slides prepared with data from Google analytics.
- Available on the G drive IAS/Statistics/Google AnalMay 2013
- Turkish and Persian materials are being accessed so there is a market for these materials.
- Intensive testing will occur at the beginning of the fall semester
- Volunteers should contact Lynne before May 29.
- IASL Statistics
- Liz prepared an extensive report on IASL statistics from various sources: the website, the blog, Desk Tracker and other tools.
- This can be found on G/ IAS/ Statistics/IAS StatMockup
- Slavic Reference Service
- Joe Lenkart’s participation at the Seventh biennial library conference in Uzbekistan. [Kit Condill attended this conference in 2010.]
- Discussions on the promotion of electronic resources, and library services.
- UIUC SRS needs digitized materials from their collection
- UIUC PhD candidate is doing linguistics research on Uzbekistan.
- SRS Summer Lab—June 10-August 15.
- Busiest point will be in June.
- Seventy confirmed reservations.
- Two main events:
- Translation workshop
- Fisher Forum
- There are about 25 individual research consultations which have been arranged.
Round Robin–Summer activities and Beyond
- Paula C. will be preparing to go on sabbatical in November.
- Larry will be slaving with the Slavs.
- Liz will be continuing to work on the stats and the scholarly publishing database.
- Lynne will be hiring Grad Hourlies and testing the website set-up, and will be attending QQML in Rome and then will be on vacation until June 24.
- Shuyong will be attending conferences in China in July.
- Mara will be attending the QQML conference in Rome and will be presenting a paper there with Tom Teper.
- Joe will be here at the UIUC SRS
- Debora will be working at IASL the whole summer.
- Laila will attend ALA and then will prepare for a ME conference.
- Al has a grant to finish the Maps of Africa project; he’ll work on the book he’s writing with Atoma. He and Atoma also have a grant to work on the Maps of Africa to 1900 digitization project.