Time and Location of Meeting
March 19, 2015
Agenda not yet available.
IAS Staff Meeting
March 19, 2015
Present: Jan Adamczyk, Kit Condill, Shuyong Jiang, Lisa Renee Kemplin, Ula Lechtenberg, Joe Lenkart, Laila Hussein Moustafa, Xiaoping Qi, Antonio Sotomayor, and Mara Thacker
Awards & Accolades:
- Mara was featured in a DI profile for the South Asia comic book collection. She since received contact from Michigan State on ways to collaborate.
- Reminder of the April 10 visit from the Vice Provost for International Affairs and Global Strategies. The panel will be held in RM 106 from 3-4 and the reception will be in RM 321 from 4-5. Desafinado will be playing and Brazilian theme appetizers will be served. Lisa Renee will need help to set up the tech in both rooms. Please pass on this event to your centers. An updated announcement will be resent.
- Reminder to use the IAS shared calendar for absences from the office such as conferences or vacations. Please contact Lisa Renee if you would like the instructions on how to add this in your email account.
- The updated draft of the Research Laboratories and Thematic Workshops Criteria was shared. This is to serve as a resource for subject specialists planning for workshops in the future. Currently Steve and Lynn are working on a possible CGS Summer Lab.
- The results of the User Survey on organization of the reference room was shared. Staff are interested in receiving the summary that also lists responses from participants. 82% of the 55 respondents indicated that they would like the materials arranged by the areas noted in the survey.
- IAS Reference User Services will be chaired by Steve in 2016. Committee has not met since last report. Shuyong has joined this committee.
- iTEC is working on the April 10 event. The map showing travel trips of faculty and staff will be at the event. IAS has a brochure and will be updating to include suggested highlights from the collections by subject specialists.
- There are two applications in for buying trips. Atoma to West Africa and Yoo-Seong to Korea and China. There are still funds available for additional applications.
- Jan and Lisa Renee spoke about the 3 Minutes to Live training. Contact has been made to one of the officers to do a walkthrough of our area. Will share the time when we hear back from the Police Department.
- The question was brought up about space on the new book shelves to add additional titles. We have a list of when the new books were processed and will consult this list to determine which books will be pulled to make room for new titles being ordered.
- Ula received Support Staff Scholarship to attend ACRL.
- When filling out information on ACRL, do not forget to mark the box for Asia, Africa, or Middle East. There is talk about eliminating if there are not enough members.
- Kit reported on a recent order from Russia for scanning of materials. These items are not held anywhere else in the US. The order total is about 35,000 pages. These will be available in Hathi Trust.
- Antonio is hiring Silvia, Graduate student to assist with the digitalization project of the Peruvian letters.