June 9, 2015 Meeting of University Library Exhibitions Committee

Time and Location of Meeting

June 9, 20153:30 pm - 4:30 pm OSLF

Agenda Details


Agenda not yet available.

Minutes Details


Miriam Centeno, Anna Chen, Eva Chertow, Kasie Janssen, Jody Waitzman (chair)


Round Robin

1)      Jody: web calendar; budget mgmt. and ordering

  • No additional purchases for departmental libraries, but potential for HPNL, ARX and IHLC. All want foam wedge supports, Miriam has been working on specs. If they will be used for exhibit, we may pay for some from Mueller Fund. Miriam will check if they’re to be used for exhibit or only for routine handling. Either way, want to get polyethylene or “charcoal polyester” which is preferable to polyurethane from a preservation perspective
  • Mueller fund update: We have access to the $2500 now, just have to copy Susan Edwards on any supply orders. Money is in a separate (non-Mueller) account, and rolls over.
  • Furniture gliders – has anyone checked on these yet?Facilities said they would take care of it, we don’t need to do anything else.
  •  Black linen for Marshall was lent to RBML for emergency draping during an exhibit, Miriam will inquire about getting it back


2)      Cher: install/deinstall; preparation of materials for exhibit

  • Cher now on maternity leave. Jody will be taking on her scheduling responsibilities while she’s out.


3)      Pat: Graduate student competition

  • Committee discussed the timing of workshop on exhibit design. Presuming that 2015 contest will be open in October and winners announced first week in November, we think workshop should be held mid-late November. Include a note in the contest announcement that winners will be required to attend.


4)      Miriam: website; facilities

  • Learning how to do image galleries in WordPress, will need to work with IT to build in functionality
  • Will get in touch with Dan Tracy, who build the Edible Books Festival website in WordPress and successfully included an image gallery


5)      Anna: publicity

  • Will contact departmental libraries who have requested exhibit supplies and see if they’re willing to be subject of publicity campaign (email) promoting the funding opportunities. Jody will send Anna list of contacts.


6)      Kasie and Eva: photography, supply inventory

  • Photos of empty cases/bad exhibits?
  • While taking photos, found a huge piece of black crushed velvet in the exhibit supply cabinet, sounds like it was from the photodoc setup in Conservation. Should be removed from the cabinet and returned to Conservation.
  • Suggested that black linen be purchased for the NS cases