Time and Location of Meeting
December 6, 2018
Agenda not yet available.
IAS Staff Meeting
December 6, 2018
Present: Jan Adamczyk, Bella Irvine, Shuyong Jiang, Lisa Renee Kemplin, Laila Hussein Moustafa, Joe Lenkart, Lynne Rudasill, Antonio Sotomayor, Mara Thacker, Xiaoping Qi, and Erika Weir
Guest: Paula Carnes
Announcements & Accolades:
- IAS potluck today from 12-1 in Rm 323c.
- Room reservations for Rm 309 are now online at https://uiuc.libcal.com/spaces?lid=5766. Please use this link any time you need to use Rm 309. I will approve requests and print out the daily schedule. If I am out of the office, Joe or Steve will approve requests. When Steve goes on sabbatical, Lynne will be added to this account. The Room 309 policy is above the reservation request. There are also paper copies at the IAS desk. Feel free to ask any questions.
- The Research Showcase will be held in the afternoon on February 5 in Rm 220. Rm 214 and 216 can be used for the tech talks and consultations.
- Paula informed us of monies available from preexisting state funds. This money may also help IAS subject specialists with purchases. Paula introduced the idea of forming a Film Studies Team that could collaborate on buying both English language materials and films. This team will be made up of faculty possibly including Lisa Romero, Marek, IAS subject specialists, and Lit and Lang representatives. A meeting will be scheduled in June to create general criteria with a follow up meeting in December 2019.
- Lynne is on CAPT Web Development Team and they are looking at a redevelopment of the library hours on the gateway page. Including ways for patrons to find subject specialist by areas. Discussed how we would want our areas represented. East Asian would also need to add Korea, Japan, and Chinese. Concern for how comprehensive the listings could be and how they would be displayed. Send any notes to Lynne by this coming Monday, December 10.
- Brief discussion on DPI. One suggestion was to use the money for seed grants to bring librarians from all over to the U of I for a conference. Read the Chancellor’s memo and think about how IAS could engage with these projects.
- Joe reported on GA projects and praised the fine work that the GA’s are doing. One project will result in a digital project template. Instruction sessions are ongoing since Spring and Summer 2019. This fall Laura has led 13 sessions and Erika has led 10. The International Student Orientation will be held January 11. Shout out to Lisa Renee for her support for these programs.
- Both Mara and Antonio are interested in representing IAS for the Library Strategic Plan. Mara stated that if she is chosen, she would want to be a conduit for our library and would want to have space in our agendas to discuss and bring forward ideas.