Time and Location of Meeting
December 1, 2016
Agenda not yet available.
IAS Staff Meeting
December 1, 2016
Present: Atoma Batoma, Kit Condill, Lisa Renee Kemplin, Joe Lenkart, Laila Hussein Moustafa, Antonio Sotomayor, Mara Thacker, Xiaoping Qi, and Steve Witt
Announcements & Accolades:
- IAS Holiday Dinner – at Golden Harbor this Friday 12/2 at 6:30 pm – RSVP and donations for students to Lisa Renee
- There are currently no applications for buying trips for this year. Kit is looking at next August as a possibility to add travel from Poland where IFLA is being held to the Czech Republic and Germany. Antonio is planning to go to Lima, Peru to explore contacts.
- Erin (GA) has a paper that has been accepted to BOBCATSSS in Finland this January. She makes the third GA from IAS to present at this conference. The previous GA’s include Bella and Sveta.
- Laila has been elected to the Executive Board of the Middle East Materials Project (MEMP) in the Center for Research Libraries (CRL).
- Mara received a RPC grant which is supporting her trip to India next week. She is interested in purchasing rupees with US dollars for her trip. Please bring on Friday if you have any.
- Kit has been appointed to a three-year term as Chair of the ASEEES CLIR Subcommittee on Collection Development.
- Turn in GH requests for summer to Steve by December 12. Steve will coordinate with Joe for the GA request.
- Discussed how to meet the needs of professors with limited student support. Some suggestions on dealing with Libguide requests include creating a generic one that can work for multiple classes, enlist the help of students from iSchool, and practicum students.
- ITEC – Steve is proposing a Chai Wai in conjunction with Global Studies for mid-January that focuses on how the President’s cabinet choices affect global topics. These could include Paris Agreement, NATO, trade, and environmental factors. It was suggested that panelists and date be finalized before winter break.
- International Reference – The reference office hours have begun. They are Tuesday and Wednesday from 11-12:30. There have been two students from the College of Business.
- IAS Space Group – Reminder for all staff to participate in the space survey that was sent out earlier by Lynne. Please complete by December 7.
- Steve and Laila serve on a committee that is reviewing the interdisciplinary journal subscriptions. The funding for these journals is $300,000 and is called IND9.
Their report is due February 1.
- The first Collection Conversation will be held January 19 at 11:00 am at the YMCA. The discussion will focus on the book Building Area Studies Collections edited by Dan Hazen and James Henry Spohrer. Desk staff will scan the book and place in the box.
- IPRH will hold a post-election discussion on December 6 from 5:30-8 at Levis Faculty Center. This conversation will specifically focus on how the library can provide a safe place for students.