August 9, 2012 Meeting of Library Staff Support Committee

Time and Location of Meeting

August 9, 2012

Agenda Details


Agenda not yet available.

Minutes Details


Jim Cotter (chair), Danielle Postula, Becky Burner, Barb Trumpinski, Sandy Wolf. Laura Poulosky


Room reservations made:
Becky has reserved Room 225B Main Library for LSSC meetings the 2nd Thurs. of every month from 9:00-10:30 a.m. throughout the 2012-2013 academic year.

Reaching Forward South:
Jim will contact Paula Kaufman and Sue Searing to request funding for staff attendance of this conference.  Traditionally, funding has been granted for about 12 staff members to attend.  Once we know how many spots will be funded, we will send out a message to staff asking for applications for attendance.  Preference is given to those who have not yet had a chance to attend the conference.  The deadline for registering for the conference is Sept. 10th and the conference will be held on Thurs.-Fri., Sept. 20th and 21st.  In the past, funding has been provided for transportation and registration fees for participation in the Friday sessions.

ALA Brownbag lunch:
The 2012 ALA staff attendees, Lesley Purnell and Lisa Kemplin, will discuss their experiences at the conference with any interested Library employees at a brownbag lunch on Wed., Aug. 22nd, in Room 428 Main Library.  We need to send out a LibNews announcement about this.

LSSC Vacancies:
LSSC still has vacancies for liaisons in the following areas:  1 liaison in Technical Services; 1 liaison in Central Public Services; 1 liaison in Administrative Services; and 1 liaison in Area Studies.  Since Technical Services and Central Public Services do each have one representative (although they are allowed two each, due to the size of those divisions), we are primarily concerned about the vacancies in Area Studies and Administrative Services.  Jim and Sandy will try to solicit volunteers from those divisions to serve on the committee.

None of the Divisions with liaisons present had held meetings since last month’s LSSC meeting.  However, Barb did have reports to share from the circulation team meeting and the staff development and training committee:

Circulation team report—Fines on overdue reserve materials will now be $5/hour (with a maximum fine of $50 per item).  Circulation staff Library-wide are encouraged to require that all patrons show their I-cards in order to check out materials (even if they know the patron), in order to promote consistency with this policy.  Employees are encouraged to use condition report forms when discharging damaged materials.  Any papers showing patron information should be torn up or shredded when discharges are complete.  A preview of the new Gateway page is now available for library employees to explore, and we are all encouraged to try it out.

Staff development and training committee—Revised orientation checklists will soon be available online; Beth Woodard will announce when they are ready.  GA orientation will be longer and more intense this year, in order to ensure thorough training in new procedures.  Updated unit head training is in development.  The Wellness Committee, chaired by Zoe Revell, will be promoting new activities soon.

Questions about consistency in circulation training and procedures:  As there have been some questions about how to ensure that employees Library-wide communicate effectively about training resources that they have developed, we decided it would be a good idea to invite Richard Stokes (the new head of Central Access Services) and/or Peggy Glaathaar (also a supervisor in CAS) to an LSSC meeting to discuss this issue with us.  Danielle will talk to Richard about possibly attending our next meeting.

Updated LSSC and Staff Webpages:  Sandy has updated the LSSC membership web page and the staff page’s emergency procedures.  She will be making further updates based on edits recommended by Becky.  Committee members are asked to look over the LSSC webpages, especially our “Accomplishments” page, to see if we have further suggestions for additions or changes.

Next LSSC meeting:
Our next meeting will be held on Thursday, Sept. 13th, from 9:00 to 10:30 a.m., in 225B Main Library.