General Flag Resources
- The Flag of the United States of America
- This is the official web page for the United States Flag. Here you can learn about the evolution of the flag, learn the Pledge of Allegiance, how to properly display, fold, and store the flag, learn numerous flag facts, as well as read poems, songs, and writings in honor of our flag.
- Consumer Information Center: Our Flag
- The joint Committee on Printing is pleased to present the latest edition of Our Flag. This Congressional publication briefly describes the history of the flag, and sets forth the practices and observances appropriate to its display. The Committee hopes that this document will be both useful and informative to its audience.
- Flag Day (pdf)
- Resource from the State Department includes information on Flag Day, a glossary, and the Star-Spangled Banner.
The Flag in History
- Flag Picture Gallery
- This page displays images of the progression of the US Flag through its history.
- Flag Timeline
- This is a great flag timeline that includes the changes of the flag through history, as well as memorable occurrences involving the flag.
- History of the Flag
- This is a detailed history of the US Flag, including many trivia facts incidental to the history of the flag itself.
- A Capitol Fourth: Flag History
- For more than 200 years, the American flag has been the symbol of our nation’s unity, as well as a source of pride and inspiration for millions of citizens. Here are the highlights of its unique history.
- Do you want to know why we call the flag “Old Glory”? Read here to find out!!
- Flag Etiquette
- Click here if you want to learn more about proper flag etiquette. This is a quick and handy list.
- Flag Trivia
- Are you a trivia buff? Here’s some flag trivia you don’t want to miss!!!
- The US Flag on the Moon
- One of the most memorable parts of the Apollo lunar landing was the placement of the US Flag ceremony. Read here about the political and technical consequences that erupted because of it!
- Star Spangled Banner article
- An article from the Library of Congress about the Star Spangled Banner tune with links and a bibliography to additional resources.
- Civil War Music about the flag
- Library of Congress collection of Civil War sheet music about the flag.
- The Star Spangled Banner at the Smithsonian National Museum of American History
- The flag that inspired the US National Anthem is on exhibit at the Smithsonian National Museum of American History. This site includes information on the war, the flag, the song, the flag’s legacy, and a tool to closely examine the flag.