All circulating library materials can be charged out, requested, or renewed on the online catalog. You may also present the item(s) you want to borrow and your I-Card to the person at the circulation desk. Library materials may be renewed online or by telephone(with the exception of videos) by calling the Telephone Center at (217) 333-8400. Items that do not have holds on them may be renewed a maximum of 10 times.
Charged-out items are subject to recall, with a shortening of the loan period, upon request of another user or for reserves.
Books, except for those received through Interlibrary Loan or Reserve books, may be returned to any library on campus.
- All media items are kept behind the circulation desk.
- They circulate for 3 days to UIUC faculty and graduate students.
- Videotapes and DVD’s may also be viewed in the TV Viewing Room, room 122-D in the Communications Library. Earphones are also available.
- All media items are accurately reflected and searchable through the library online catalog along with the rest of the library collections.
- Circulation – All reserve materials circulate for 2 hours or overnight.
- Overnight use – Reserve materials may be checked out for overnight use 1 hour prior to closing and must be returned within 1 hour of opening, the following morning.
General Loan Periods
- Books, Microfilm, Audio cassettes 4-16 weeks
- Periodicals (faculty, graduate students) 3 days
- Videos (faculty, graduate students) 3 days
- Reserve materials 2 hours
- Reference Materials do not circulate
Overdues and Fines
- A detailed discussion of the library’s policies on overdues and fines can be found on the Central Circulation homepage. In general, the following policies apply:
- Daily fines are not assessed for overdue materials; however, failure to return materials in a timely manner may result in the issuance of a bill for the item’s replacement and the assessment of a nonrefundable late return fee.
- The loan period for an item that has been recalled is shortened. Failure to return recalled items by the due date will result in a nonrefundable fine.
- A block will be put on the borrower’s privileges if the borrower exceeds the library’s thresholds for number of assumed lost items or amount of money owed, or has not returned a recalled item by the date specified.