Copy-Specific Notes and Notes in Holding Records (MFHD)
In addition to mandatory notes called for by DCRM(B), make copy-specific notes using 500 fields, adding ‡5 IU-R. 500 Field (with subfield $5 IU-R), using standard introductory terms to notes as indicated below:
- Bound with statements.
- Presence and extent of annotations.
- Authors’ presentation inscription: [followed by transcription of inscription]
- Inscription: [for non-authorial inscriptions of all kinds]
- Armorial bookplate: [include motto in transcription]
- Bookseller’s label:
- Binder’s ticket:
- Description of binding.
- Imperfect copies
- Limitations statements.
- Insertions (prospectuses, clippings, etc.)
- Provenance information, including donors, endowed funds, etc.
Notes in Holding Records (MFHD)
853 Acquisitions information and stamped accession numbers (when present) should be added to subfield z, on the following model:
- ‡z Acquired: 20 Sept. 1964 (Dealer)
- ‡z Accession no.: 1234567.
When numerous notes would cause possible confusion in the bibliographic record, catalogers should include copy-specific notes in the MFHD.
- 561 Former Ownership History
- 562 Copy Specific Note
- 563 Binding Note
Tracings associated with MFHD notes (e.g. thesaurus terms, names) are to be added to the bibliographic record in the appropriate field followed by ‡5 IU-R.