Merinda Kaye Hensley
Assistant Professor, University Library
Instructional Services Librarian
Scholarly Commons Co-Coordinator
Adjunct Professor, GSLIS
Ethnography of the University Initiative, Co-Director
306J Main Library, MC-522
1408 West Gregory Drive, Urbana, IL 61801
2006–2009: Visiting Instructional Services Librarian and Assistant Professor, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
M.S., Library and Information Science. University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, Urbana, IL. 2006.
B.A., Political Science. University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ. 1998.
- LIS592MBE: Advanced Instruction Group Independent Study, GLSIS. Spring 2012.
- LIS590AE: Advanced Information Literacy and Instruction, GSLIS. Spring 2013.
- LIS 590AE: Information Literacy and Instruction in Practice, GSLIS. Spring 2104.
Awards and Distinctions
- Beta Phi Mu International Library and Information Studies Honor Society, Alpha Chapter, University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign, 2006.
- Competitive application, ACRL Immersion, Teacher Track (2006), Program Track (2007), Assessment Track (2011).
- ACRL Instruction Section, Elected position, Member-at-Large, 2010-2012.
- Best Paper Award, The International Information Literacies Research Network, “The Critical and Continuing Role of LIS Curriculum in the Teacher Training of Future Librarians,” with Nicole A. Cooke, 2013.
- Hensley, Merinda Kaye and Robin E. Miller. 2010. “Listening From a Distance: A Survey of University of Illinois Distance Learners and Its Implications for Meaningful Instruction.” Journal of Library Administration 50 (5–6): 670–683. doi: 10.1080/01930826.2010.488946. http://hdl.handle.net/2142/18670. (Published simultaneously as conference proceedings in The 14th Off-Campus Library Services Conference Proceedings, edited by Brian Ryckman, 215–224. Mount Pleasant, Mich.: Central Michigan University.)
- Bowles-Terry, Melissa, Merinda Kaye Hensley and Lisa Janicke Hinchliffe. 2010. “Best Practices for Online Video Tutorials: A Study of Student Preferences and Understanding.” Communications in Information Literacy 4 (1): 17–28. http://hdl.handle.net/2142/18671.
- Hensley, Merinda Kaye. 2011. “Citation Management Software: Features and Futures.” Reference & User Services Quarterly 50 (3): 204–208. http://hdl.handle.net/2142/18659.
- Hensley, Merinda Kaye. 2012. “Lifelong Learning and Instructional Services for Adult Learners through OLLI.” LOEX Quarterly 38 (3): 4–5. http://commons.emich.edu/loexquarterly/vol38/iss3/3.
- Association of College and Research Libraries, Working Group on Intersections of Scholarly Communication and Information Literacy. 2013. “Intersections of Scholarly Communication and Information Literacy: Creating Strategic Collaborations for a Changing Academic Environment.” Chicago: ACRL. http://acrl.ala.org/intersections/
- Cooke, Nicole A. and Merinda Kaye Hensley. 2013. “The Critical and Continuing Role of Library and Information Science Curriculum in the Teacher Training of Future Librarians.” Information Research: 18, no 3: paper S02. This article was also published as conference proceedings in Proceedings of the Eighth International Conference on Conceptions of Library and Information Science, edited by Tom Wilson, paper S02. Lund, Sweden: Lund University Libraries.
- Hensley, Merinda Kaye, Benjamin P. Murphy and Ellen D. Swain. (in press). “Analyzing Archival Intelligence: A Collaboration Between Library Instruction and Archives.” Communications in Information Literacy 8, no. 1.
- Hensley, Merinda Kaye, Sarah L. Shreeves and Stephanie Davis-Kahl. (in press).“A Survey of Library Support for Formal Undergraduate Research Programs.” College & Research Libraries. http://crl.acrl.org/content/early/2013/02/06/crl13-458.short?rss=1
Davis-Kahl, Stephanie and Merinda Kaye Hensley, eds. 2013. Common Ground at the Nexus of Information Literacy and Scholarly Communication. Chicago: ACRL. http://hdl.handle.net/2142/42666
Hensley, Merinda Kaye and Stephanie Davis-Kahl. (under contract, forthcoming 2014). Establishing Undergraduate Research Journals: Best Practices for Librarians. Chicago: ACRL.
- Hensley, Merinda Kaye. 2008. “Thinking Outside the Cases: Strategies for Developing Virtual Exhibits.” In Thinking Outside the Book: Essays for Innovative Librarians, edited by Carol Smallwood, 23–25. Jefferson, NC: McFarland & Co.
- Bowles-Terry, Melissa and Merinda Hensley. 2009. “Research Your Way Past Writer’s Block.” In The Library Instruction Cookbook: 50+ Active Recipes for 1-shot Sessions, edited by Ryan Sittler and Doug Cook, 110–111. Chicago: ACRL.
- Hensley, Merinda Kaye. 2010. “Teaching New Librarians How to Teach: A Model for Building a Peer Learning Program.” In Recruitment, Development and Retention of Information Professionals: Trends In Human Resources and Knowledge Management, edited by Elisabeth Pankl, Danielle Theiss-White and Mary C. Bushing, 179–190. Hershey, PA: Business Science Reference.
- Hensley, Merinda Kaye and Emily Love. 2011. “A Multifaceted Model of Outreach and Instruction for International Students.” In International Students and Academic Libraries: Initiatives for Success, edited by Pamela Jackson and Patrick Sullivan, 115–134. Chicago: ACRL. http://hdl.handle.net/2142/29853.
- Hensley, Merinda Kaye. 2013. “The Poster Session as a Vehicle for Teaching the Scholarly Communication Process.” In Common Ground at the Nexus of Information Literacy and Scholarly Communication, edited by Stephanie Davis-Kahl and Merinda Kaye Hensley, 123–143. Chicago: ACRL. https://ideals.illinois.edu/handle/2142/43861
- Hensley, Merinda Kaye. 2014. “The Scholarly Commons: Emerging Research Services for Graduate Students and Faculty.” In Rethinking Library Reference for Academic Libraries, edited by Carrie Forbes and Jennifer Bowers. Lanham, Md.: Scarecrow Press. (in press)
- Journal of Librarianship and Scholarly Communication, Ad hoc manuscript reviewer. 2013.
- College & Research Libraries, Referee. 2013-
- “ACRL 101: Getting Involved at the National Level.” Panelist for ACRL 101, American Library Association Annual Conference, Anaheim, CA, 28 June 2008.
- “2nd Time Attendee: How ACRL Has Benefited My Professional Development.” Panelist for First-time Orientation, ACRL 14th National Conference, Association of College and Research Libraries, Seattle, WA, 12 March 2009.
- “Bringing the Immersion Program Back Home.” Panelist for Institute for Information Literacy Executive Committee program, American Library Association Annual Conference, Chicago, IL, 11 July 2009.
- “The Art of Presenting: Taking Your Idea, Turning It Into a Proposal and Giving an Engaging Presentation.” Presenter for ACRL 2011 Conference, Association of College and Research Libraries, Philadelphia, PA, 1 April 2011.
- “Teaching International Students.” Panelist for ACRL Academic Library Services to International Students Interest Group, American Library Association Midwinter Conference, Dallas, TX, 22 January 2012.
- “Show Me the Data! Partnering With Instructors to Teach Data Literacy.” With Karen Hogenboom and Carissa M. Holler Phillips. Presenter for Colorado State University Libraries’ Master Teaching Initiative, 24 February 2012.
- “Information Literacy in Ghana: Perspectives on a Growing User Education Program.” Keynote speaker for Information Literacy Summit, Moraine Valley College, IL, 4 May 2012; Invited presenter for Information Literacy Summit, John A. Logan College, IL, 24 April 2012.
- “Perceptions of Library Value from Undergraduate Research Coordinators.” With Stephanie Davis-Kahl. Presentation for Council on Undergraduate Research Conference, Washington D.C., 1 July 2014.
International and national presentations
- “Entering and Integrating Into a Community of Practice: Strategies for an Employer of the New Librarian.” With Margaret Edwards. Presentation at Information Literacy Summit, Illinois State University, Normal, IL, and Moraine Valley Community College, Palos Hills, IL, 13 and 20 April 2010.
- “Listening From a Distance: A Survey of University of Illinois Distance Learners and Its Implications for Meaningful Instruction.” With Robin E. Miller. Presentation at 14th Off-Campus Library Services Conference, Cleveland, OH, 28 April 2010.
- “Completing the Research Cycle: The Role of Libraries in the Publication and Dissemination of Undergraduate Student Research.” With Sarah Shreeves and Stephanie Davis-Kahl. Presentation at ACRL 2011 Conference, Association of College and Research Libraries, Philadelphia, PA, 31 March 2011.
- “Show Me the Data! Partnering With Instructors to Teach Data Literacy.” With Karen Hogenboom and Carissa M. Holler Phillips. Contributed paper presentation at ACRL 2011 Conference, Association of College and Research Libraries, Philadelphia, PA, 1 April 2011. http://hdl.handle.net/2142/18809.
- “Consumer to Creator: Investigating and Building Library Support for Undergraduate Research.” Presentation at 39th Annual Library Orientation Exchange Conference, Fort Worth, TX, 6 May 2011.
- “Showcasing Undergraduate Research: The Role of the Instruction Librarian.” Presentation at Workshop for Instruction in Library Use 2011 Conference, University of Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada, 2 June 2011.
- “Think Like a Librarian: Best Practices for Offering Open Workshops.” Presentation at Librarian’s Information Literacy Annual Conference, Glasgow, Scotland, 12 April 2012.
- “Assessment of Undergraduate Research: Student Posters Across Disciplines.” Poster presentation at Annual American Library Association Meetings, Anaheim, CA, 24 June 2012.
- “Recognition and Publication of Undergraduate Research Efforts.” Invited panelist for Illinois Campus Faculty Retreat, 22 February 2012.
- “ExploreCU: A Community Generated Digital Humanities Project.” With Sarah Christensen. Workshop at Faculty Summer Institute, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 14 May 2013; Presentation at ACRL 2013 Conference, Indianapolis, IN, 11 April 2013; Poster presentation at the 2013 Public Engagement Symposium, University of Illinois, 28 February 2013; Presentation at ACRL 2013 Conference, Association of College and Research Libraries, Indianapolis, IN, 11 April 2013.
- “The critical and continuing role of LIS curriculum in the teacher training of future librarians.” Paper presented at Conceptions of Library and Information Science, Copenhagen, Denmark, 21 August 2013.
- “Enriching How We Create, Teach and Learn: the Intersections of Scholarly Communication and Information Literacy.” With Joyce Ogburn, Mary Ellen Davis, and Stephanie Davis-Kahl. Project briefing proposal at Coalition for Networked Information Spring Membership Meeting, St. Louis, MO, 1 April 2014.
- “Library Support of Undergraduate Research Programs: Perceptions, Value and Opportunity.” With Stephanie Davis-Kahl and Sarah L. Shreeves. Poster presentation for ALA Annual Conference, Las Vegas, NV, 30 June 2014.
- “Critical Reflection: Strategies for Encouraging Your Growth as a Teacher.” Workshop at Librarian’s Information Literacy Annual Conference, Limerick, Republic of Ireland, 29 March 2010.
- “The Intentional Employer: Strategies for Entering and Integrating Into a Community of Practice.” With Margaret Edwards. Preconference workshop at ACRL 2011 Conference, Association of College and Research Libraries, Philadelphia, PA, 30 March 2011.
- “Reaching Out to Students and Faculty” and “Developing a Research Commons.” With Sarah Shreeves and Barbara Ford. Invited Carnegie-funded workshop for the University of Ghana, Accra, Ghana, 19-22 July 2011.
- “Best Practices for Using Critical Reflection to Improve Your Teaching.” Workshop at International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions Satellite Meeting, Tampere, Finland, 8 August 2012.
- Academic Senate, Elected position, UIUC, 2012-2015
- ACRL 2014 President's Program Planning Committee, 2012–2014
- ACRL Information Literacy Competency Standards for Higher Education Task Force, 2012–2015
- ACRL Intersections of Scholarly Communication and Information Literacy Task Force, 2013-2015
- ACRL Student Learning and Information Literacy Committee, 2012–2014 Member; Vice Chair 2014-2015
- Office of Undergraduate Research, Advisory Board
- Peer Review: The Undergraduate Research Journal of the Ethnography of the University Initiative, Advisory Board, 2013-