Associate Professor of Library Administration, Scholarly Commons Librarian and Head, Scholarly Commons
306 Main Library, MC-522
1408 W. Gregory Dr.
Urbana, IL 61801
- 2014-2015: Associate Professor of Library Administration, Numeric and Spatial Data Librarian and Co-Coordinator of the Scholarly Commons
- 2009-2014: Associate Professor of Library Administration, Numeric and Spatial Data Librarian
- 2007-2009: Associate Professor of Library Administration, Assistant Government Information Librarian, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- 2001-2007: Assistant Professor of Library Administration, Assistant Government Information Librarian, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- 1999-2001: Research Librarian, Legislative Research Unit, Illinois General Assembly.
- 1999 - M.S. in Library and Information Science: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Urbana, IL.
- 1985 - M.A. in English Composition and Rhetoric: Western Illinois University, Macomb, IL.
- 1983 - B.A. in English/Literature cum laude: Knox College, Galesburg, IL.
Awards and Distinctions
- Top 20 Library Instruction Articles of the Year for "Going beyond .gov: Using government information to teach evaluation of sources," Library Instruction Round Table of the American Library Association (2005).
- Hogenboom, Karen (with Beth Sheehan). "Assessing a Patron-Driven, Library-Funded Data Purchase Program.: Journal of Academic Librarianship, Vol. 43(1): 49-56 (2017). 10.1016/j.acalib.2016.10.001
- Hogenboom, Karen (with Michele Hayslett). "Pioneers in the Wild West: Managing Data Collections." portal: Libraries and the Academy, 17(2): 295-319 (2017). 10.1353/pla.2017.0018
- Hogenboom, Karen. "Review of Congress vs. the Bureaucracy: Muzzling Agency Public Relations." Government Information Quarterly 29(3): 437 (2012).
- Hogenboom, Karen. "Data Discovery and Use." Virtual presentation to University of Illinois and University of Hong Kong Data-Driven Scholarship Autumn Institute, 29 November, Hong Kong (2016).
- Hogenboom, Karen (with Annelise Sklar, Catherine Morse, and Lara Cleveland). "Public Opinion and Population Data." Panel at Licensing Big Data: an eDesiderata Forum (Center for Research Libraries webinar), 16 November (2016).
- Hogenboom, Karen (with Michele Hayslett). "You are the Potter, Datasets are the Clay: Shaping a Collection of Small Datasets." Presentation at IASSIST Conference, 1-3 June, Bergen, Norway (2016).
- Hogenboom, Karen. "Making Beautiful Music Together: Campus Partnerships for Libraries." Keynote presentation at CARLI Instruction Showcase, 18 June, Naperville, IL (2015).
- Hogenboom, Karen (with Sarah C. Williams). "Nurturing a Data Management Community." Poster at Association of College and Research Libraries Conference, 25-28 March, Portland, OR (2015).
- Hogenboom, Karen (with Maryalice Wu). "Partnering to Provide Data Services." Presentation at University of Chicago John Crerar Library 3rd Biennial Kathleen A. Zar Symposium, 25 April, Chicago, IL (2014). http://www.lib.uchicago.edu/e/crerar/zar/kaz2014schedule.html
- Hogenboom, Karen (with Hailey Mooney, Bobray Bordelon, Kristen Partlo, Michelle Hudson, and Maria Jankowska). "Strategies and Models for Data Collection Development." Panel at IASSIST Conference, 28-31 May, Cologne, Germany (2013).
- Hogenboom, Karen (with Thomas Teper). "Like Peeling an Onion: Adding Small Data Sets to Library Collections." Poster at Association of College and Research Libraries Conference, 10-13 April, Indianapolis, IN (2013). http://hdl.handle.net/2142/45272
- Hogenboom, Karen (with Michael Elliot, Cynthia Hudson, Jennifer Moore, and Chris Freeland). "Data Curation in Libraries." Presentation at Missouri GIS Conference, 20 February, Chesterfield, MO (2013).
- Hogenboom, Karen (with Carissa M. Holler Phillips and Merinda Hensley). "Show Me the Data! Partnering with Instructors to Teach Data Literacy." Master Teaching Initiative, Colorado State University Library (virtual synchronous presentation). 24 February 2012.
- Hogenboom, Karen (with Lynn Wiley). "Data Set Journeys: New Directions and Challenges in Acquiring Data for Library Collections." Presentation at Charleston Conference, 2-5 November, Charleston, SC (2011).
- Hogenboom, Karen (with Carissa M. Holler Phillips and Merinda Hensley). "Show Me the Data! Partnering with Instructors to Teach Data Literacy." In Declaration of Interdependence: The Proceedings of the ACRL 2011 Conference, March 30-April 2, 2011, Philadelphia, PA, edited by Dawn M. Mueller. Chicago: Association of College and Research Libraries: 410-417 (2011).http://hdl.handle.net/2142/18809
- American Library Association (ALA).
- Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL) - ALA.
- Numeric and Spatial Data in Academic Libraries Interest Group (ACRL -ALA)
- Government Documents Round Table - ALA.
- International Association for Social Science Information Services and Technology (IASSIST)