Digital Resources & Reference Librarian, Assistant Professor of Library Administration
300 Main Library, MC-522
1408 West Gregory Drive
Urbana, IL 61801
- 2004-2008 Assistant Professor, Electronic Services Librarian, University of Central
2012: Ed.D. Educational Leadership, University of Missouri at Columbua
2004: MS Information Science, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
2002: BA Foreign Affairs, University of Virginia
User Experience, Information Seeking Habits, Young Professionals
Awards and Distinctions
- EBSCO ALA Annual Conference Scholarship, 2011
- Marketing Recognition Award, University of Illinois
- ACRL New Librarian Conference Scholarship, 2007
- American Library Association Emerging Leader, 2007
- 2011: Dow Chemical Corporation, "A Study on Search Effectiveness", Primary
- Bauder, Julia and Emanuel, Jenny. "Being where our faculty are: Emerging technology use
and faculty information-seeking workflows."
Internet Reference Services Quarterly 17, no. 2 (2012).
- Emanuel, Jenny. "Usability of the VuFind next generation online catalog."
Information Technology and Libraries 30, no. 1 (2011).
- Zhuo, Fu, Emanuel, Jenny, and Jiao, Shuqin. "International students and
language proficiencies in library database use."
Technical Services Quarterly 24, no. 4 (2007).
- Emanuel, Jenny. "An Introduction to LibGuides." In ''LibGuides: Making Dynamic
Web Design and Management Simple for Non Web-designers - A LITA Guide''. Edited by Aaron Dobbs,
Ryan Sittler, and Doug Cook. New York: Neal-Schumann, 2012.
- Emanuel, Jenny and Roh, Charlotte. "Studying practicing researchers: How research
within scientific industry can impact and influence information literacy among graduate students in
STEM departments." Paper presented at
ACRL 2013 Conference, April 2013.
- Emanuel, Jenny. "The Millennials: Assessing the next generation of academic
librarians." Dissertation for Ed.D. at the University of Missouri Columbia, 2012.
- Hentz, Margaret and Emanuel, Jenny. "A study on search effectiveness: How can we
design search tools so end users can find it quicker?" Paper presented at
SLA 2012 Conference, July 2012.
- Emanuel, Jenny. "Millennial Librarians: Who they are and how they are different
from the rest of us." Paper presented at the
ACRL 2011 Conference, March 2011.
- Kern, Kathleen and Emanuel, Jenny. "Next generation catalogs: What do they do and
why should we care?" Column in
Reference and User Services Quarterly 49, no. 2, 2009.
Jenny. "Towards Infinity and Beyond?" Presentation at the
University of Houston Discovery Day Camp, October 2012. Invited.
Jenny and Roh, Charlotte. "Remote User Testing: Methods and Tools to Take Your Testing
out of the Library." Presentation at
LITA National Forum, October 2012.
Slides and notes
Jenny. "Understanding the information seeking habits of researchers: A global
perspective." Poster at
IFLA General Conference and Assembly Helsinki, Finland, August 2012.
Jenny. "“Current trends in library digital collections and e-resource management at western
universities.” Lecture at Eurasian University, Astana, Kazakhstan, April 2012. Invited.
Slides and talking
- Emanuel, Jenny. "An Introduction to Electronic Resources." Series of
presentations and discussions at Nazarbayev University Library, Astana, Kazakstan, April 2012.
Slides and talking points
Julia and Emanuel, Jenny. "Be where our faculty are: Emerging technology use and
faculty information seeking workflows." Poster at
ACRL 2011 Conference, March 2011.
Jenny. "Librarians in the digital age: Impact of internet adoption on search habits."
Presentation at the
Library Research Seminar V, College Park MD, October 2010.
Jenny. "Redesigning a website using information architecture principles."
Pre-conference presented at
LITA Forum, September/October 2010.
Robert, and Emanuel, Jenny. "Usability Testing: A brief introduction to the Novice."
Online webinars for CARLI, April 2010. Invited.
Jenny. "Next Generation Discovery." Presentation at the
Library Colloquium of Southern Illinois University Edwardsville, March 2010.
Slides and notes.
- ALA Councilor at Large, 2012-2014; Elected
- ALA Policy Committee, 2012-2014
- ALA Membership Committee, 2008-2010 (Intern), 2010-2014
- ALA Council Resolutions Committee, 2009-2011
- LITA Forum Committee, 2006-2008 (Member), 2012-2013 (Chair
- LITA Program Planning Committee, 2010-2012
- NMRT Councilor, 2008-2011; Elected
- HathiTrust UX Advisory Committee, 2010-2014.