Grainger Engineering Library Information Center

 

Engineering Library

The Grainger Engineering Library Information Center provides a focal point for the College of Engineering faculty, students, and staff. It is a 92,000 square foot facility that opened in 1994 and seats 1300 patrons. Grainger Library collections now focus on electronic materials, such as e-books and journals with many going back to the 19th century. Grainger Library contains a computer cluster with 57 Windows machines and 120 high-end engineering workstations. The Center for Academic Resources in Engineering (CARE) is housed on the fourth floor, providing peer tutoring, exam reviews, TA office hours, and group study space especially for first- and second-year engineering students. More than 1.2 million people use the building every year.
 
Grainger Library collections provide resources for faculty and students in the disciplines of Aerospace Engineering; Bioengineering; Civil and Environmental Engineering; Computer Science; Electrical & Computer Engineering; Industrial & Enterprise Systems Engineering; Materials Science & Engineering; Mechanical Sciences & Engineering; and Nuclear, Plasma, & Radiological Engineering. Grainger Library houses the Physics & Astronomy and Geology collections as well.
 
The Grainger Library additionally serves as an incubator and testbed for the development and deployment of emerging information technologies that are often deployed to the Library system as a whole. The Easy Search portal and gateway software---accessed more than 3 million times per year by library users---was originally developed in the Grainger Library, as was the Journal and Article Locator. The earliest electronic full-text journals and the Digital Object Identifier system were developed in Grainger Library under National Science Foundation grants. The Grainger Library has received almost $14 million in outside grants since 1994, and its faculty and researchers have published over 40 scholarly articles and books.
 
The Grainger Library was initially funded by a gift of $18.7 million from The Grainger Foundation, Inc., which is headquartered in Lake Forest, Illinois. An additional $11 million of state and gift funds was expended on the project for the rerouting of steam, electrical, and telecommunications lines; the demolition of several buildings, and the construction of the new Engineering Quad. The Grainger Library is named after William Wallace Grainger, a 1919 graduate of the University of Illinois College of Engineering. A bas-relief of William Wallace Grainger is in the first floor lobby of the Grainger Library.

 

 

     previous

next