Main Stacks Research Carrels
Current University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign faculty, graduate students and visiting
scholars sponsored by an Urbana campus academic department, are eligible to apply for a research
carrel. Due to the status of the stacks and the limited number of carrels available, priority is
given to faculty members and graduate students actively involved in research requiring extensive
use of materials in the Main Stacks.
Please note: Conditions in the Main Stacks are dusty, noisy, often exhibit extremes in
uncontrolled temperature, and are not necessarily conducive to quiet work or study. Wifi is
not supported. Before filling out a carrel application, you may wish to visit the stacks to
determine whether the carrel space will fit your needs.
- Assignments are made in the order received as space permits.
- Due to demand, more than one person may be assigned to a carrel.
- Carrels are assigned until the end of the current semester. If you would like to use the carrel
during the next semester, Main Stacks library staff must renew the carrel key. To renew, please
phone, email, or come in person to the Main Stacks within two weeks of the end of the term. Carrel
keys are due in December (Fall Term), May (Spring Term), and August (Summer Term).
- Personal belongings remaining in the carrel at the end of the assigned term will be removed and
discarded after three weeks.
- Failure to return a key will result in charges for a lost key and re-keying of the lock
- Carrels are only to be used by the individual(s) assigned to the space. Carrels cannot be
transferred or given to other individuals or groups.
- The Library reserves the right to remove carrels from service as needed (for maintenance
purposes, projects, etc.)
Library policies or
carrel policies may lead to immediate termination of carrel privileges.
- No smoking, food, beverages, or other liquids are allowed in the stacks or in the
- All library materials kept in study carrels must be charged out to the carrel occupant's
personal University borrower ID. Carrel occupants are responsible for renewing any materials
kept in their carrel.
- Fire regulations prohibit any materials covering carrel windows. Posters, notes and other
materials are not allowed on walls, doors or windows.
- Please turn off lights and close windows when leaving the study carrel.
- Please do not leave library materials on the floor, on window ledges or near the radiator.
- Carrels are assigned for reading and research purposes only and are not intended to provide
office or storage space. Extraneous material may be removed from the carrel.
- Please notify circulation desk staff of any problems in the carrel (lights not working, cracks
in the wall, leaks, etc.).
- When you no longer need your carrel please return the key to circulation desk staff to avoid a
lost key charge.
- No furniture or equipment is to be moved from or introduced into a study carrel.
- Heating and cooling ducts must not be covered.
- Violation of library policies or conduct which interferes with the maintenance of appropriate
order and discipline in the operation of the University will result in termination of carrel
- The university library cannot guarantee the security of personal belongings in any carrel
space. The library assumes no responsibility or liability for items lost or stolen from a study
- For the security of the collection, no food or beverages, backpacks, bags, parcels, or purses
are allowed in the stacks. Lockers are available to store your belongings while you are using your
carrel in the Main Stacks.
All research carrels are subject to routine search by authorized staff to ensure compliance with
these policies. Personal belongings found in the carrel will be removed and discarded after three
Procedures for Obtaining a Research Carrel
- Submit a carrel request via
email. We will let you know by email when your
request has been processed.
- Present your UIUC ID card at the Main Circulation Desk to pick up the carrel key. At this
time you will also need to sign the application form.