What We Do
“Working behind the scenes for the betterment of information endeavors.”
Staff in the Technical Services Division (TSD) are responsible for acquiring, organizing, preserving, and providing access to materials in all formats for the library’s collections in support of the University of Illinois library’s mission to enhance the University’s activities in creating knowledge, preparing students for lives of impact, and addressing critical societal needs.
The Acquisitions and Cataloging Services Unit creates and maintains content in all formats and languages for all materials that the Library acquires and publishes. We keep the collections vital and current by licensing, purchasing, describing, and organizing to ensure discovery of and access to the Library resources by our users.
Collection Management Services – Oak Street Library (CMS-OSL) is responsible for a variety of services within the University Library, including the Gift program; the Last Copy program; departmental transfers to the Oak Street Library; the ingest, retrieval, and management of materials at the Oak Street Library; ILL Scanning at Oak Street; and the management of the Oak Street Library circulation desk. In addition, a growing part of the unit responsibilities is to provide services relating to large-scale collection management, whether they be transfers, retrospective cataloging projects, physical shifts of collections, or some combination of all three.
The Preservation Services Unit exists to provide long-term access to the physical and intellectual contents of the Library’s collections through conservation, preservation and digitization. These programs seek to provide this access with an eye toward maximizing the Library’s investment in collections, services, and staff while continually seeking to improve the services that we provide.
- Stephanie Baker, Library Information Systems Specialist
- Henry Borchers, Digitization Services and Preservation Services
- Quinn Ferris, Senior Conservator
- Jimmy Gonzalez, High Density Storage Facility Coordinator
- George Gottschalk, Acquisitions Operations Specialist
- Myung-Ja (MJ) Han, Head of Acquisitions and Cataloging Services
- Joshua Stuart Harris, Media Preservation Coordinator
- Qiang Jin, Senior Cataloging Coordinator
- William Kries, E-Resources Cataloging Specialist
- Patricia Lampron, Metadata Services Specialist
- Mary Laskowski, Head, Collection Management Services
- Joshua Lynch, Visiting Metadata Services Specialist for DPLA
- Jenny Maddox Abbott, Collection Management Librarian
- Christopher Morgan, E-Resources & Acquisitions Support Specialist
- Michael Norman, Discovery Services Librarian
- Chloe Ottenhoff, Rare Book and Manuscript Cataloging Coordinator
- Tracy Popp, Digital Preservation Coordinator
- Kyle Rimkus, Preservation Librarian, Chair
- William Schlaack, Digital Reformatting Coordinator
- Wendy Shelburne, Electronic Resources Librarian
- Alisha Taylor, Monographic & Media Cataloging Coordinator
- Jennifer Teper, Head, Preservation Services
- Marco Valladares Perez, Visiting Exhibits Conservator
- Angela Waarala, Digital Collection Project Manager
- Jody Waitzman, Conservator
Technical Services Bylaws: PDF