As the primary group for deliberation on reference services in the Library, the Reference Management Team provides guidance and advice to the Associate University Librarian for User Services by formulating and reviewing plans, goals, priorities, strategies, policies and procedures relating to reference services; promoting awareness of and participation in reference-related activities; engaging in and advising on the assessment of reference services; assessing professional development needs for reference staff and providing appropriate opportunities for skill development; collaboratively developing a consistent, high-quality user experience; developing strategies to effectively facilitate referrals and interdisciplinary work; actively contributing to the assessment and integration of discovery services into reference work; and investigating, developing, and sharing new approaches or initiatives related to the provision of reference.
The team will work closely with others in the Library working in relevant areas (e.g. the Assessment Coordinator and Staff Development and Training Librarian, and may periodically charge sub-teams to work in areas such as assessment, policy development, technology, and training.
The Reference Management Team shall meet monthly or at the call of the Associate University Librarian for User Services.
The chair will be a rotating position, elected by the committee and serve a two-year term, with the possibility of reelection for one additional two-year term. This person will automatically be placed as an ex officio member of the User Services Advisory Committee.
Minutes of the Reference Management Team shall appear on the Library’s website or through other online distribution. The Committee shall also communicate and consult in other ways deemed appropriate.
The committee is composed of individuals from each Library Division whose members are actively involved in reference services. Additional members may be appointed to represent special concerns. Members are appointed by EC and serve 3 year staggered terms with possible reappointment for an additional term.
- Sara Holder, Chair(ex officio - Head, Research & Information Services) Second Consecutive Term Central Public Services Division
- Kate Lambaria(Aug 2018 - Aug 2023) Second Consecutive Term Arts & Humanities Division
- Jen Yu(ex officio - Assessment)
- Jessica Hagman(Aug 2019 - Aug 2023) Second Consecutive Term Social Sciences Division
- Laila Hussein Moustafa(Aug 2019 - Aug 2023) Second Consecutive Term Area Studies Division
- Ruthann Mowry(Aug 2020 - Aug 2024) Second Consecutive Term Special Collections Division
- Mike Dickinson(Aug 2020 - Aug 2024) Second Consecutive Term Life Sciences Division
- Monica Carroll(Feb 2021 - Aug 2023) Second Consecutive Term Physical Sciences and Engineering Division (completing Alex Cabada's term)
Additional Committee Information
Training and Documentation
- Guidelines for Fall 2020 Scheduled Appointments with Patrons (includes instructions for setting up booking for shared appointment spaces in LibCal/Spaces).
- Library Chat Training Procedures
- LibChat Staff Training Guide
- Getting Started with LibCal Appointments
- LibCal Appointment Settings
- LibCal Appointment Forms Best Practices
- Kelli Trei(Aug 2019 - Aug 2020) Life Sciences Division (finishing Melody Allison's term)
- Alex Cabada(Aug 2019 - Feb 2021) Physical Sciences and Engineering Division
- Cara Bertram(Oct 2018 - Aug 2020) Served Two Consecutive Terms Special Collections Division
- Melody Allison(Aug 2018 - Aug 2019) Life Sciences Division
- Yali Feng(Oct 2017 - Aug 2019) Social Sciences Division
- Joe Lenkart(Oct 2017 - Aug 2019) Served Two Consecutive Terms Area Studies Division
- David Ward, Chair(Aug 2016 - Aug 2019) Central Public Service Division