You can’t see where you are going unless you know which path to take. Otherwise, any path will take you there.
The format of the strategic plan to be developed is a strategic framework with strategic directions and priorities. Everyone in the organization should be able to see themselves in the framework but each direction and priority won’t need to be directly aligned with the goals and actions of each Division or unit. The framework will guide library-wide initiatives (coalescing around specific areas/issues, translated into directions and priorities) as well as both engender/inspire and represent Division/unit pursuits. The strategic framework enables and empowers action by the library as a whole, and the development and implementation of action plans specific to divisions/units. The strategic directions and priorities will be a synthesis of library-wide and Division data collected as part of an environmental scan and SOAR (strengths, opportunities, aspirations and results) analysis.
This webpage will serve as a repository to share documents created by the LSPT.
Go to: Strategic Planning
The Library Strategic Planning Team (LSPT), facilitated by the co-chairs, will produce a draft strategic framework and/or strategic planning working documents that will serve as the basis for review at the May 2019 University Libraries retreat, and inform the crafting of the new strategic framework by the Library’s Executive Committee (EC).
- The composition of the LSPT has been approved by the Library EC
- The new strategic framework will cover the years 2019-23, and be similar in format to the existing Framework for Strategic Action (2015)
- The existing mission and principles will be reviewed and affirmed
- No vision statement will be produced as part of the initial process
Connect with the LSPT
Co-Chairs Office Hours – All are welcome to drop-in and contribute to the strategic planning process or ask questions.
- Tue 3/12/2019 2:00-3:00 pm – Library – Main – 308
- Tue 3/26/2019 4:00-5:00 pm – Library – Main – 308
- Thu 3/28/2019 1:00-2:00 pm – Library – Main – 308
- Tue 4/2/2019 10:00-11:00 am – Library – Main – 308
- Friday, 5/10/19 3:30-5:00 pm – Library – Main – 308
- Monday, 5/13/19 12:00-1:30 pm – Library – Main – 308
Library Strategic Planning Retreat
All Library employees are encouraged to attend the Library Strategic Planning retreat which will be held Tuesday, May 14 from 8:30am-1:00pm in 200 Library. The Library will be closed during this time. Coffee, hot tea and water will be served in the morning and a lunch will be served at 12pm. Again, we encourage everyone to attend. Those who do not wish to attend should work with their unit head to request a vacation day (or half-day) or make arrangements with their unit head to work in the unit that morning. For questions, please contact Library Human Resources at 333-8169.
Registration for the Strategic Planning Retreat, closing date 5/7/2019
Email Communication – All are welcome to contact the Co-Chairs and your Division Representatives with your questions of and contributions to the strategic planning process.
Clara M. Chu email@example.com
Merinda Kaye Hensley firstname.lastname@example.org
The Library Strategic Planning Team consists of two co-chairs, one representative from each division, one representative for staff and auxiliary services, and the director of library assessment as ex-officio.
With thanks to the following for administrative support: Courtney Horry (Mortenson Center), Kim Matherly (Dean’s Office), and Lucretia Williams (Office of Digital Strategies and Office of Research) and Wendy Wolter (Office of Collections & Technical Services and Office of Library Facilities).
- Clara M. Chu, Co-Chair(Jan 2019 - No End Of Term Date Available)
- Merinda Kaye Hensley, Co-Chair(Jan 2019 - No End Of Term Date Available)
- Jim Hahn(Jan 2019 - No End Of Term Date Available) Central Public Services Representative
- Joanne Kaczmarek(Jan 2019 - No End Of Term Date Available) Special Collections Representative
- Erin E. Kerby(Jan 2019 - No End Of Term Date Available) Life Sciences Representative
- Bill Mischo(Jan 2019 - No End Of Term Date Available) Physical Science and Engineering Libraries Representative
- JJ Pionke(Jan 2019 - No End Of Term Date Available) Social Science Representative
- Matthew J Roberts II(Jan 2019 - No End Of Term Date Available) Arts and Humanities Representative
- William Schlaack(Jan 2019 - No End Of Term Date Available) Technical Services Representative
- Mara Thacker(Jan 2019 - No End Of Term Date Available) Area Studies Representative
- Tracy Tolliver(Jan 2019 - No End Of Term Date Available) Staff and Auxiliary Services Representative
- Jen-chien Yu(ex officio - ex-officio) Director of Library Assessment
- Library Strategic Framework, 2019-2023 - DRAFT
- Strategic Plan Crosswalk - Library and Campus
- Area Studies Division - SOAR Analysis
- Arts and Humanities Division - SOAR Analysis
- Central Public Services Division - SOAR Analysis
- Life Sciences Division - SOAR Analysis
- Physical Sciences and Engineering Division - SOAR Analysis
- Social Sciences Division - SOAR Analysis
- Special Collections Division - SOAR Analysis
- Staff and Auxiliary Services (Business and Human Resources Service Center, Office of Library Facilities, Library Information Technology, User Experience and Web Strategy, Communications, and Advancement) - SOAR Analysis
- Technical Services Division - SOAR Analysis
Additional Committee Information
Assessment Practices and Metrics for the 21st Century: A 2019 NISO Training Series
Clara Chu, Affiliate Professor, School of Information Sciences, and Merinda Kaye Hensley, Digital Scholarship Liaison and Instruction Librarian, both of the University of Illinois, on Strategic Assessment. Friday, December 20, 2020.
Meeting Recording: https://zoom.us/recording/share/kMEQyaBYP3P-zU5RPyNYBI8qN8y_J3banU7m8kq6j2awIumekTziMw
The recording is password-protected. Please contact Merinda Hensley or Clara Chu for the password.
Agendas and Minutes
- Show All
|Meeting Date||Agenda||Minutes||Related Documents|
|May 1, 2019||Agenda available||Minutes available|
|April 24, 2019||Agenda available||Minutes available|
|April 18, 2019||Agenda available||Minutes available|
|March 14, 2019||Agenda available||Minutes available|
|March 7, 2019||Agenda available||Minutes available|
|February 28, 2019||Agenda available||Minutes available|