Most materials in the Mathematics Library are located in the bookstacks, which are open to everyone. The entrance to the stacks is located behind the circulation desk (Map A-7). Books and bound journals are inter-shelved and are arranged in call number order starting in the NE corner of the upper level. See the bookstacks map for how materials are organized on the floors.
For security reasons, you must leave briefcases, backpacks, etc. on the shelves near the clock before entering the stacks. Study carrels are available on all levels of the Library bookstacks.
The Mathematics Library uses the Dewey Decimal system. The classification number for most mathematics titles is in the range 510-519.
A few volumes in Chinese or Japanese located in the Mathematics Library have the Library of Congress class number for mathematics; these start with “QA”.
Reserve materials are located behind the circulation desk and must be requested. Go to the Course Reserves page for details.
When You Can’t Find a Title in the Stacks
Ask us for help! Or you may want to double-check the location listed for the item in the Online Catalog. Journal locations may also be verified using the rolodex or flip file at the right end of the Mathematics Library circulation desk. Some mathematical books and journals may be found in the following locations:
- Grainger Engineering Library Information Center (301 W Springfield Ave., Urbana)
- Main Bookstacks (203 Main Library Building)
- Oak Street High Density Storage (809 S. Oak Street, Champaign)
- Rare Book and Manuscript Library (346 Main Library Building
- Undergraduate Library (Undergraduate Library Building). The Undergraduate Library’s Media Center has a collection of video recordings from the American Mathematical Society and Mathematical Association of American, and others on calculus and geometry.
Requesting Materials from Other Institutions
If you are looking for a title that is not found in the University of Illinois Library collection, you could request the item from other institutions. [details]
If all available copies of a book are being circulated, both at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and other I-Share libraries, library staff will initiate the recall of a library book for use by another patron.