Find Articles in Databases & Journals
Use databases to search multiple online journals at the same time. Find articles about a specific topic by using keywords, subject headings, authors, and more.
- More: Sociology Related Databases
- More: Databases by Subject
- More: Find Online Journals & Databases (by Title or Subject)
Find Background Information
Reference sources, online or in print, include encyclopedias, dictionaries, handbooks, and directories and are great starting points for background information about a specific topic.
- Annual Review of Sociology
- The Blackwell Dictionary of Sociology
- Cambridge Dictionary of Sociology
- The Concise Encyclopedia of Sociology
- Encyclopedia of Sociology
- Handbook of Aging and the Social Sciences
- Immigration in America Today: An Encyclopedia
- International Encyclopedia of the Social Sciences
- The Wiley-Blackwell Encyclopedia of Social and Political Movements
- World of Sociology
Browse Useful Websites
Websites can provide statistics, data, articles, documents, and other information about a specific field of study.
- American Sociological Association (ASA)
- American Society of Criminology
- Association for Applied & Clinical Sociology
- International Sociological Association
Develop Research Skills
Sociology Research Guides
Research guides provide suggestions for finding and using information about a specific subject.
Class guides are created by librarians to provide guides to helpful sources for a particular class.
Use Additional Library Resources
Sociology Related Libraries and Library Services
Learn About Other Resources on Campus
Learn about sociology resources, research, and services at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
About the Sociology Collection
The sociology collection in the University of Illinois Library supports the teaching and research programs in sociology and its subdisciplines, such as demography and social ecology, social psychology, and urban and community studies. Current areas of focus within the department include: Social Dynamics and Structure, Race, Class, & Gender, and Transnational Studies. Current English-language books, as well as the core journals in sociology, social science methodology, and social theory are housed in the the Social Sciences, Health, and Education Library (SSHEL), but the majority of the estimated 100,000 volumes held in the field of sociology are located in the central bookstacks of the Main Library.
Please direct all comments or requests for information to Beth Sheehan, (217) 244-1866.